An electronic brand name an object?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thik Nongyow, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Thik Nongyow

Thik Nongyow Stunt Coordinator

I am curious on why some people are referring to brand names as objects? For example calling Panasonic DVD players as "Pannies." Should Panasonic DVD players be referred by their model names (DVD-RP82, DVD-RP91, etc.), instead of being simply called "Pannies."

What about pluralizing model names, "People are buying Panasonic RP82s" as opposed to saying, "People are buying Panasonic RP82 units."

2. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I do it because it is easier[​IMG] .

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

It seems like a discussion of semantics to me. Some people say "Panny" instead of Panasonic because it is easier, as Keith said. However, in some cases, I think people use names in the vernacular out of "affection" for the brand. For example, many people refer to their Magnepan speakers as "Maggies". Anyway, I use the full name of manufacturer, and I will almost always say "'RP82 players" or "'RP82 units" instead of "'RP82s". Just personal preference.

4. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

Dude, you have way too much time on your hands!! LOL! You also have 5 years of habit in lazy guys like us to break!

Matt

5. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

What if you're referring to the whole product line and not one particular player? I guess some find it easier to just say Pannys as a generalization instead of listing every single model #.

6. Thik Nongyow

Thik Nongyow Stunt Coordinator

I can understand people saying, "I want a Coca-Cola," as Coca-Cola is not only a brand name, but a soft drink, but saying that one wants a non-food/beverage brand like Panasonic, Nintendo, or Sony seems odd to me.
    Anyway, it just shows how colorful and flexible the English language is.[​IMG]

7. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Don't sweat, you can eBay your Panny if you peep out a chroma buggie.
    Sorry, I just wanted to really throw your head for a loop with that sentence. [​IMG]

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Moving this to After Hours, where it belongs.
    M.

9. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I think it has to do with ease of speach and typing. I could say, my Yamaha RX-V1200 has been really good, bla blah blah, so yeah, I'd recommend a Yammie to anyone. It also adds a bit of personality to the object in question.