An area I know nothing about: surround speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason_H, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

Hey all,
    I have a question about a subject I have very little knowledge of. I would like to put some nice surround speakers into my HT, the ones I have now are just pathetic and won't be mentioned. [​IMG]
    My setup is:
    Toshiba 56H80 RPTV
    Panasonic RP-91 DVD player
    Malata DVD-N996 (on order for almost two weeks, grrrr)
    Pioneer CLD-D704 for laserdiscs
    Dish 5000 w/8VSB module for HDTV
    Denon AVR-85 receiver (one of their cheap DD models)
    Two JBL S312 floor speakers in the front (I am impressed with these speakers, and the price was right...free!)
    JBL S-Center for center channel
    Some low-end JBL subwoofer (will be replaced by an SVS when I'm not in an apartment [​IMG])
    I am looking for some direct-firing surrounds that will blend in well with the JBL Studio package...they will be used both for DVD watching and multichannel DVD-Audio, so they must be good for music as well as movies. They will be fairly close to the listening position right now (in an apartment).
    Any suggestions would be appreciated, I really don't know where to start in this case. My budget has not been determined...I will just go for the sweet spot in terms of price vs. quality, so no ultra high-end stuff.
    [Edited last by Jason_H on August 19, 2001 at 11:15 PM]

2. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

Well, I am not too familiar with the JBL studio line, but if you want to keep everything timbre matched, I would recommend sticking with the JBL brand. Try looking at other models from JBL that use the same tweeters. That's what I would do for starters, but I am sure that there are others in here that can give some more specifics.
    ------------------
    -Dwayne
    "And vidi films I would."
    [Edited last by Dwayne on August 19, 2001 at 11:21 PM]

3. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

Well, after a little bit of research, from the JBL Studio line, I suppose the S38 bookshelf speakers would fit my needs as a surround speaker. Has anyone else had experience using these as surrounds? Or, I'm still open to other suggestions and models....

4. Hank_P

Hank_P Second Unit

Take a look at the S36. These are the Studio Series designed specifically for surround... they come in Black or White. A good search of the web will give you some great prices. They are about $50 less than the S38, not as deep ..so are much easier to put on the wall, but still a very good 3-way speaker.