1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We will be interviewing Criterion soon. Click here for details on how you can submit a question for us to ask.
    Dismiss Notice

An Appreciation for Scandinavian Films...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Mike Frezon, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Message #41 of 46 May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    titch

titch Second Unit

Kevin Oppegaard
    As a rule, a remake of a foreign language film usually results in an inferior English language version. There are exceptions, but Cold Pursuit is not one of them. It’s also a shame that Laura Dern is given so little to do. I would definitely recommend to those who can abide subtitles to seek out the original. Stellan Skarsgård is one of the very best Swedish actors.

Hilariously, if you type the original Norwegian title "Kraftidioten" into Google Translate, it gives you "In Order Of Disappearance" as the English translation!! The literal translation is more like "The Major Idiot", which of course wouldn't have attracted many viewers...

When I originally saw it in 2014, the dark humour and wintery setting reminded me a lot of the Coen brothers' Fargo. Even the film posters seemed to pay homage!

kraftidioten.

Kraftidioten1.

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  3. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    SAhmed likes this.
  4. SAhmed

SAhmed Supporting Actor

Shakeel
  5. Ferdinand Hudson

Ferdinand Hudson Stunt Coordinator

Ronnie
    Considering that the story is set in the 1920s and Pippi didn't come about until the 1940s I'm not sure how they'd be able to shoe-horn in that or the plethora of memorable characters she wrote about since then for that matter. Hardly attributed as a fail.

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I'm sorry if you got the impression I considered that to be a "fail," Ronnie. That wasn't what I meant at all.

I just made note that the film tells us of the early years of Lindgren's life--not her book-writing years. Lindgren isn't as well known here in the US as she must be in your neck of the woods and I think many of those who went to see the film here would have been from her fan base and surprised that there was so little of the story having to do with what makes her famous over here.

Ferdinand Hudson likes this.