An Appreciation for Scandinavian Films...

titch

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Have any of you seen In order of disappearance? It's on Netflix now. It's the norwegian film Cold Pursuit is based on. CP is nearly a shot for shot remake!

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/cold-pursuit-uhd-review.361906/
As a rule, a remake of a foreign language film usually results in an inferior English language version. There are exceptions, but Cold Pursuit is not one of them. It’s also a shame that Laura Dern is given so little to do. I would definitely recommend to those who can abide subtitles to seek out the original. Stellan Skarsgård is one of the very best Swedish actors.

Hilariously, if you type the original Norwegian title "Kraftidioten" into Google Translate, it gives you "In Order Of Disappearance" as the English translation!! The literal translation is more like "The Major Idiot", which of course wouldn't have attracted many viewers...

When I originally saw it in 2014, the dark humour and wintery setting reminded me a lot of the Coen brothers' Fargo. Even the film posters seemed to pay homage!

kraftidioten.jpg

Kraftidioten1.jpg

Last edited:

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Ronnie

This is a 2018 Swedish film based on the early life of Astrid Lingren author of the wildly popular Pippi Longstocking children books. The director/screenwriter, Pernelle Christensen, took a real risk with this topic: she, pretty much, failed to reference the Pippi books as part of the tale.
Considering that the story is set in the 1920s and Pippi didn't come about until the 1940s I'm not sure how they'd be able to shoe-horn in that or the plethora of memorable characters she wrote about since then for that matter. Hardly attributed as a fail.

Mike Frezon

Reaction score
I'm sorry if you got the impression I considered that to be a "fail," Ronnie. That wasn't what I meant at all.

I just made note that the film tells us of the early years of Lindgren's life--not her book-writing years. Lindgren isn't as well known here in the US as she must be in your neck of the woods and I think many of those who went to see the film here would have been from her fan base and surprised that there was so little of the story having to do with what makes her famous over here.

Reactions: Ferdinand Hudson

Mike Frezon

Reaction score
It's been way too long since I've posted here. I hope it hasn't been that long since we dipped our toes in the watr of Scandinavian filmmaking...

But tonight, Peg and I watched Smiles on a Summer Night.

I liked it. Peg, not so much. She got bored part way through and never regrouped.

For me, it was easy to see why this particular Bergman was so well received in the US (and other places) since it talked so openly about aspects of relationships that just weren't discussed in US films at that time. I thought the cast was incredible and the Criterion disc showed-off the film beautifully.

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Matt Hough
It's been way too long since I've posted here. I hope it hasn't been that long since we dipped our toes in the watr of Scandinavian filmmaking...

But tonight, Peg and I watched Smiles on a Summer Night.

I liked it. Peg, not so much. She got bored part way through and never regrouped.

For me, it was easy to see why this particular Bergman was so well received in the US (and other places) since it talked so openly about aspects of relationships that just weren't discussed in US films at that time. I thought the cast was incredible and the Criterion disc showed-off the film beautifully.
I certainly love it as I hope I made clear in my 2011 review of the Criterion Blu-ray. That review is here.

Dick

Lead Actor
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Rick
The ending of Pelle The Conqueror was because Max von Sydow's character was too old.

I'm sure you and your wife would like The Best Intentions. This also won the Palm D'Or at Cannes (1992). It is based on the life of Ingmar Bergman's parents. It is a wonderful film, with the cream of Scandinavian actors, including Max Von Sydow. My only gripe, is that the cinema version (and the one available on blu ray), is the condensed version of the four-part miniseries that aired on TV over here. Like Ingmar Bergman's Fanny and Alexander, the longer TV version is much richer and full of detail, than the theatrical version.
But unlike FANNY AND ALEXANDER, it isn't available on Blu-ray. Correct me if I'm wrong.

AnthonyClarke

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Anthony
Two weeks ago we had planned a big screen viewing of one of our all-time favourites (Kurt Vonnegut said it was the finest film ever made) - 'My Life as a Dog'.
And that weekend our Government introduced the isolation policy of no visitors. So we'll have to put that on hold.
But my first experience of Scandinavian movies came in the late 1950s when our Russell St Melbourne European revival cinema put it on its bill. It was a beautiful, very sad film, with the big bonus that (spoiler alert) YOU COULD SEE THE YOUNG WOMAN'S BREASTS!). Unbelievable, but true.
But the highlight for me was that the other half of this double bill was a film which still haunts me .. Fellini's 'La Strada', which I still think is the supreme moment of his great career. What a day that was!

Reactions: nara

titch

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Two weeks ago we had planned a big screen viewing of one of our all-time favourites (Kurt Vonnegut said it was the finest film ever made) - 'My Life as a Dog'.
And that weekend our Government introduced the isolation policy of no visitors. So we'll have to put that on hold.
But my first experience of Scandinavian movies came in the late 1950s when our Russell St Melbourne European revival cinema put it on its bill. It was a beautiful, very sad film, with the big bonus that (spoiler alert) YOU COULD SEE THE YOUNG WOMAN'S BREASTS!). Unbelievable, but true.
But the highlight for me was that the other half of this double bill was a film which still haunts me .. Fellini's 'La Strada', which I still think is the supreme moment of his great career. What a day that was!
Didn't quite catch what Scandinavian film you had the pleasure of seeing in the late 1950s - was that Bergman's Summer With Monika?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JP2