What's new

An Apollo 13 Query... (1 Viewer)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I just ordered the Anniversary edition.
If it proves timeless, then I will buy a HD version once I sell the SD.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
On a side note, if you guys are really into space movies like Apollo 13, you should check out the mini-series "From the Earth to the Moon". It was a blind buy for me about a year ago and I do not regret it one bit. Great stuff...

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

I must confess I am a little puzzled by your reaction to this comment. Where you really under the impression that the DVD format would be the de facto home video format forever? Of course something better will come along. VHS and laserdisc have become obsolete. DVD will become obsolete. HD-DVD and Blu-ray will become obsolete. The next format after them will become obsolete, too.

There's always something better down the road. That doesn't mean that your existing library of titles for the current format suddenly stops working. I can't buy new laserdiscs anymore, but I still get a lot of mileage out of my existing collection. Some of the films I own on laserdisc have even been released on DVD; I have simply chosen not to upgrade because the laserdiscs works just fine.

The same will be true of DVD even when DVDs are no longer being produced. Your DVD player won't suddenly stop working just because you bought an HD-DVD player.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

I will second that recommendation. From The Earth To The Moon is in many ways a companion piece to Apollo 13. The miniseries also addresses the events of Apollo 13, but from a different perspective. The series was co-produced by Tom Hanks, who directed an episode and appears in one, and gives introductions to all of them.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Yes, but should one acquire the original release of FTETTM, in 1.33:1 as originally broadcast, or the more recent "signature edition" in anamorphic widescreen? Pros and cons to each. I have the original release. Here's a review of the SE with some screen caps and discussion:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=17788

I love anamorphic widescreen, but I think maybe overall the original has better framing.

Also, the original release was a common "DVD rot" culprit for many, specifically Disc 4 I think. Mine didn't have a problem, but I haven't watched it for a couple of years, so I can't be sure it's still good.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I put in the old DTS version of Apollo 13 last night to take a look at it and listen to the DTS track. I am a bit of a DTS junkie myself, and usually opt for a DTS version whenever it's available (whether the preference is due to a better codec or merely a better mix matters not to me).

However, I have to agree that the visual presentation of that disc leaves a lot to be desired. Back in the days when I had a non-HD TV, the variance in picture quality, EE, and artifacts were not as readily apparent, as they would often disappear into a normal TV's scanlines.

However, now I am at least as critical of the picture now as well as the sound. I now seldom play my old DTS laserdiscs, even though they were full bitrate, because the picture quality is not good when I stretch it to fill my 16:9 screen. Even though the full-bitrate DTS sounds awesome on Apollo 13, I know I would rather have a higher bitrate picture with DD 5.1 sound. IMO, the Apollo 13 DTS disc is not the the Holy Grail you think it is. If you can get one used and cheap, it may be worthwhile.

And when it comes down to it, even though I prefer DTS, DD 5.1 doesn't suck by any stretch of the imagination. The best version of Apollo 13 IMO is the one with the over-all best picture and sound. I can take a great picture with damned good sound over a so-so picture with really damned good sound any day of the week. As some have said, the real Holy Grail version will probably be in one of the new HD formats.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I own several versions of Apollo 13 on Laserdisc and DVD, I was almost tempted to buy the special not so edition on region 2 DVD at HMV two weeks ago priced at ₤8.99, the low down on it was the IMAX cinema cut version, and thou it contained a few extra documentary’s that was tempted me, the other thing that was putting me off was the audio commentary, it was the same as the Laserdisc version “Signature Collection” which also have.

Other Apollo 13 editions that I have are the dts THX laserdisc edition which places the region 2 DVD version in the dust! Plus the region 2 DVD version chapter 5 has centre channel fault, it’s as if someone has pulled the HF lead out the back of an active X over unit, and all the centre channels sound effects along with music and dialogue, goes dull for around 1 miunte, that would be, “the nightmare sequence” as soon as the nightmare is over the centre channel is restored to normal!

Now this is probably why I haven’t touched this new DVD, it’s my own paranoia that putting me off, now if someone can tell me that this region 2 version is spot on for sound & vision, then I might add this one to the collection.

One other thing that would have been a nice bonus and that would be an isolated score by James Horner, which appears on the “Signature Collection” on side 4.

Now I wonder if the HD version is everything it says it is, NOT! I don’t believe you can pick up a version of this wonderful film today and expect multiple “all new” audio commentary, isolated score and a bonus disc to sink a battle ship, given the data storage that HD-DVD or Blue-Ray can offer!

Also the IMAX version would exploit the use of “the voice of God” loudspeaker place above the centre channel!

Now this a technique that I can have up and running in my home cinema within 20 minutes! And it’s a simple matter of re-plugging the information from the left and right with matrix decoder, a matching JBL Control 5 monitor and an EQ to address some minor sound issues, and WOW! What a sound!

Also I must have seen Apollo 13 projected 12 times in the cinema during 1995, once in the afternoon, and once on THX laserdisc during the evening and making it loud! :D

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This thread got me to pull out my old DTS laserdisc of Apollo 13 and to compare the video to the early Universal DVD from 1998. The DTS LD still sounds great and looks great. It's the first time I've played it on my new HD plasma screen. But when I played the DVD, I found the Pioneer DVL-91 LD/DVD player could not play it!

I check the DVD on my PowerMac G5, it played fine there and looked great on the Cinema display. I believe I have played the DVD on the Pio before. So am I suffering from the rot? But would it follow that if it plays on the computer, it should be okay on the DVD player? The disc looks good, I don't see any defeats on the play side of the disc. But perhaps rot is not visible.

Oh well, I guess I either wait for the HD version or get a new standard one. I too am playing the waiting game for a format to lean towards winning.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Played the IMAX disc last night. Soft picture, some EE. Sound was decent, but distortion prone.

Put on RONIN CE, which had much better sound, picture ws ok.

I need to check on one of my speakers anyway.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
On Sunday, I bought "a" 2 Disc Anniversary version of 13 at BB for $9.99.

I say "a" because right next to it, was another 2 disc Anniversary addition, but this one had a slip case, and was $14.99 or so. I didn't spend a lot of time looking at the contents, but they appeared to be the same.

But where they the same?

I have an older, single disc DTS version, and recall being disspointed in the PQ, and very underwhelmed by the audio. I was expecting a bit more rumble from the launch.

I screened the "new" version last night (Dolby Digital), and would say that the PQ on that was just as bad as the original, absent a direct comparison. Very, very soft in places.

And the audio did not exactly rock my world either, and I found that I needed to give the sub a bit of a boost to get things up to where I thought they should be.

Brian

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Um, no. You're, of course, at liberty to take issue with either transfer, but I assure you, if you did such an A/B comparison, you would see that the Anniversary Edition is leaps and bounds ahead of the original 1998 release.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
ps. did anyone else notice the goof on takeoff, levelling off when they remove their helmets and gloves?

Ton Hanks is in middle, then side, then middle.
I know it happens, but that is just GOOFY!!!
Sleeping on the job. Wouldn't flight leader ALWAYS be in middle generally speaking?

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
This is available on the older DD region 1 dvd (as sort of an easter egg) and is the only reason I still have it and have the Anniversary Ed.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
All this talk made me purchase the Anniversary set so I could do a direct comparison. I watched the launch sequence on the 1998 DTS version, the 2005 DD version and the IMAX DTS version -- one after another. I was watching at 1080i on my upconverting Oppo player connected to my Sony 51" 16x9 set.

The 1998 version had great sound (as we all know) -- very open and punchy DTS. Awesome. PQ was mostly soft.

The 2005 version looked cleaner, crisper and had slightly better color. A definte improvement in PQ. The DD is no slouch in the sound department. Similar panning and punch -- the room rattled at the same parts as the DTS version. Different than the DTS but not worse (if that makes sense).

The IMAX version looked and sounded pretty good. I can't get passed the 1.66 aspect ratio. Also, even though there are no edits during the launch sequence, that lossed 20+ minutes bugs me. It's a nice extra and nothing more. Might be a good demo disc.

In a perfect world, the Anniveresary set would have ben 3 discs. Remastered theatrical cut w/ DTS on disc 1, IMAX DTS on disc 2, all extras on Disc 3. But, Universal didn't consult me so...

I will watch the improved PQ on the 2005 disc with a very enjoyable DD track and smile the whole damn time. One of my favorite movies, remastered with no chance of rot (I hope).

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott

Thanks for your thoughts, Cees! It has made my feelings about "Keeping" DVD for awhile a bit more secure. I see your point about DVD not suddenly looking like VHS, so no degredation issues....and I agree that buying into one of the next generation machines (HD/blu Ray) may be a good investment being that it upconverts the current discs beautifully.

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott

Right, but for me, ONE machine that plays ONE prerecorded format is what I invest in primarily; as I was saying, I do not want a Blu ray player AND an HD DVD deck AND a DVD player, etc...the bottom line question seems to be if everyone seems to think retail giants like Best Buy and such will eventually replace their ENTIRE stock of standard DVD over to the likes of HD and Blu ray IF it takes off like that. But that is another story for another day; on to Apollo 13 matters.

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott

David,

Thanks for your input on this; Dolby Digital "sucking" is a very relative phrase in the way that sure, there are many DD tracks on discs which do not downright "suck" and kick ass (Terminator 3, for a good example); however, in a given situation, DTS tracks usually light up my speaker array much better and more aggressively than Dolby tracks ever do. I have heard nothing but great things about Apollo 13's DTS track from the out of print edition, and tend to lean toward AUDIO specifications over video specs if possible. So, I hear where you are coming from with regards to the picture quality on the Anniversary Edition outweighing the fact that DTS was omitted, but I am still wondering if the DTS track on the out of print edition was more aggressive than the Dolby mix on this Anniversary cut.

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott
"the Apollo 13 DTS disc is not the the Holy Grail you think it is."

Does anyone else think this is true?

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott

See people, this statement by Brian is concerning me....while Home Theater magazine has stated "the improvements are apparent in this much-needed remastering" with regard to the Anniversary Edition, I am hearing it doesnt look all that much better than other versions....is this so? And is the DTS mix on the out of print original release really not that spectacular?

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott
"The 1998 version had great sound (as we all know) -- very open and punchy DTS. Awesome. PQ was mostly soft."

Thank you for these comparisons, Brett, as it has helped sum up these dilemmas on this title a bit better; some say that the DTS mix on the 1998 version was not what it was cracked up to be....I was LOOKING for, as you describe, an "open and punchy" DTS mix for this title, and thought I would ONLY find it via the out of print 98 cut. You are calling the audio "awesome" and the video "mostly soft" and that may be what sells me on getting the out of print version from you or online....

"The 2005 version looked cleaner, crisper and had slightly better color. A definte improvement in PQ. The DD is no slouch in the sound department. Similar panning and punch -- the room rattled at the same parts as the DTS version. Different than the DTS but not worse (if that makes sense)."

Yes, that makes sense, but makes the decision for the version to buy more confusing, thank you very much!! Seriously, though, can you tell me if the DTS is TRULY a more room-rattling track than the Dolby Digital mix on this Anniversary Edition? I know the video quality improvements are there, no doubt, but can you give me some more insight on the Dolby track being "no slouch"?

"The IMAX version looked and sounded pretty good. I can't get passed the 1.66 aspect ratio. Also, even though there are no edits during the launch sequence, that lossed 20+ minutes bugs me. It's a nice extra and nothing more. Might be a good demo disc."

Interesting. What about the DTS audio on this IMAX cut? Did you demo it?

"In a perfect world, the Anniveresary set would have ben 3 discs. Remastered theatrical cut w/ DTS on disc 1, IMAX DTS on disc 2, all extras on Disc 3. But, Universal didn't consult me so..."

ABSOLUTELY agreed that they SHOULD have done it this way.

"I will watch the improved PQ on the 2005 disc with a very enjoyable DD track and smile the whole damn time. One of my favorite movies, remastered with no chance of rot (I hope)."

If I can be assured that the Dolby mix sounds "as good as" the DTS track from the 1998 version, I will smile right with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks