An American In Paris: Which version?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Stone, Mar 25, 2002.

1. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

Aside from the packaging, what are the differences, if any, between the MGM DVD and the Warner re-issue of "An American In Paris"? Thanks.

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    WB is coming out with a special edition of An American In Paris this year along with Singin' in the Rain.

I'd hold out since it was a very early MGM-Turner disc and some can be hit and miss (although, most of the B&W transfers look fantastic...)

3. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

Thanks Patrick, very good news! That information was doubly helpful because "Singin' in the Rain" is also on my want list. I'll wait for the SE versions of both of these classics.

4. Mitchell Kaufman

Surely Mr. Harris can elaborate on this more authoritatively than I can, but it's my understanding that the three-strip negatives for both Singin' in the Rain and An American in Paris were lost in that nitrate fire many years ago. Or at least most of the negatives. On the Town, too.

Given that, the current DVDs look pretty good, especially Singin'. An American in Paris is a little more variable.

I wonder if the new SEs will be LVI projects.

Not having seen their techniques applied to three-strip Technicolor, I'd be interested to see what they can do with what seems to be less than ideal source material.

I do hope they'll give their transfers a little more "zip," contrast-wise than, say, Now, Voyager or The Bad and the Beautiful, which are clean but a bit flat.

MK