What's new

4K Wish List (1 Viewer)

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Wasn't Barretts a major disappointment financially? I believe its opening week at Radio City was one of the worst in the 50s. And it doesn't seem to be a film many people talk about or even have seen. I am very curious about it for John Gielgud's performance.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Looking at the Blu, I would say that most of the film came from OCNs but there are several segments (sometimes long) that obviously did not.
Yet the Technicolor Restoration laser looked great

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I've never seen it, but I'd like to. Just always assumed I wouldn't like it since I loved the original so much.
Gielgud's performance is much subtler and effective. Shearer was good but Jones is a better performer. March, though, is incomparable as the Romantic hero.
I love the original, the first version I saw as well.

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN
Why not "Meet Me In St Louis", The Band Wagon", "Easter Parade", "On The Town", Kiss Me,Kate"
"Seven Brides For Seven Brothers" , "Gigi" etc etc. Let's hope that "Singin' In The Rain" does well enough to justify additional releases no matter which specific title gets chosen as the second one.
and The Student Prince, Interrupted Melody, (at least Blu Ray) Love Me or Leave Me, Unsinkable Molly Brown....

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
The Student Prince with its stereo track(at least I think it was in stereo)would be nice on bluray but I don't hold out much hope for that anymore.

Last edited:

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Wasn't Barretts a major disappointment financially? I believe its opening week at Radio City was one of the worst in the 50s. And it doesn't seem to be a film many people talk about or even have seen. I am very curious about it for John Gielgud's performance.
I hadn't heard about its disappointing box office results. I doubt that this reflects its quality or even its critical reception. I would say that a period biopic dealing with romance under pressure from parental tyranny was not popular subject matter in the era of blockbuster epics, musicals and the emergence of Elvis and rock and roll.
David Shipman in THE GREAT MOVIE STARS : THE INTERNATIONAL YEARS cites both the film and Jones' performance as superior to the earlier version and Norma Shearer's interpretation. John Guelgud gives a more subtle performance than Charles Laughton, though I always enjoy the latter in any role. The remake has the benefit of Cinemascope lensing by Freddie Young in England with Perspecta Stereophonic sound. It would look terrific on blu ray. Warner could even consider releasing it with the original version, which has not come out on blu ray as yet. It's always interesting to me to compare originals with remakes, especially when both are by the same director. It didn't happen very often.
I think it's Jennifer Jones' last really good film and star performance and she surprisingly fits in well with an otherwise all-British cast. MGM did remake its successes from the past, but this film is among those titles, like ROSE MARIE, THE STUDENT PRINCE and later BEN HUR and THE 4 HORSEMEN.. which were specifically done to play up the new technology developed to compete with TV. (Speaking of HORSEMEN, this flawed but fascinating remake filmed with visual flair by Minnelli with a superb Andre Previn score, merits a blu ray release with a commentary detailing its troubled production, imo.)

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I think it only played two weeks which at that point was an extremely short run. I'm sure that it was no reflection on the film but times were changing rapidly and I bet it was considered an old fashioned vehicle and there was little popular interest.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
(Speaking of HORSEMEN, this flawed but fascinating remake filmed with visual flair by Minnelli with a superb Andre Previn score, merits a blu ray release with a commentary detailing its troubled production, imo.)
I agree with you. I haven't watched the DVD for some time but I do remember thinking the last time I watched it that the only thing really amiss was the "symbolic" moments with statues tumbling etc. I thought the rest of the film was damn good. I'm now going to re-watch that DVD again!

So yes, let's have a 4K double disc set with the film on disc 1 and the music score on disc 2 so that second disc becomes an audio Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks