What's new

4K Wish List (1 Viewer)

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Not only Gigi but I would think Meet Me in St. Louis would be a prime candidate for 4k. I haven't seen the bluray(you know having seen it a million times at the Regency.) But I bet that would be a seller.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
If The Sound Of Music doesn’t get a 4K release soon then fougetaboutit! At this point 4K is looking more niche than even Laser Disc ever did. 6 years old already!

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
The Sound of Music is under the Disney/Fox banner now. The chances of getting it re-released from Disney Inc, a company which currently cannot even honor its own legacy with main stream releases of its live-action catalog in quality 1080p transfers has no business owning such a formidable back log of treasured movie history - today, tragically, regarded as mere 'asset management'!

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Bob Iger went on a whirlwind buying spree using Disney money while acquiring fabulous great wealth. His successor Bob Chapek attempting to deal with Iger's hoarding is probably thinking of 4k only in terms of the most recent releases.

Daniel_BB

Agent
Real Name
Daniel BARBIEUX
Why not "Meet Me In St Louis", The Band Wagon", "Easter Parade", "On The Town", Kiss Me,Kate"
"Seven Brides For Seven Brothers" , "Gigi" etc etc. Let's hope that "Singin' In The Rain" does well enough to justify additional releases no matter which specific title gets chosen as the second one.

I will buy those titles as soon as they are available on blu-ray 4K ... Yes ...

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Not only Gigi but I would think Meet Me in St. Louis would be a prime candidate for 4k. I haven't seen the bluray(you know having seen it a million times at the Regency.) But I bet that would be a seller.
Meet Me In St. Louis needs an upgraded master. There are portions of the film that look spectacular, and then others - especially the Christmas dance, that suffer from some minor dot crawl and color bleeding issues. It would be nice to see this one get a native 4K release, but also a repurposed Blu-ray too.

I think Warner Home Video is slightly shooting its foot by not offering Giant in both 4K and standard Blu-ray. Also, the 4K is shorn of all the goodies that accompanied the deluxe Blu-ray edition - doc, outtakes, etc. Not a smart move, in my opinion. But hey, I hope it does very well in sales. More classic flicks in 4K please!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I will buy those titles as soon as they are available on blu-ray 4K ... Yes ...
King of KIngs 1961 would be GREAT! As would Easter Parade the blu leaves much to be desired

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
There might be one or two exceptions, but I upgraded all DVDs to blu rays. I don't expect to upgrade all blu rays to 4k however, just favourites and those I spin most often. I think there is greater scope for disappointment with many older films showing only a small incremental improvement (eg, Touch of Evil, even when spread across three discs). Also the continuing debate about how older titles should look, perhaps many titles just aren't worth the upgrade. Not sure how useful it is having a film as it was shown theatrically if you didn't see it. I think 4k disc will remain niche simply because streaming has removed the need for collecting from most people.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
And it's like audiophilia women are much less likely to want hard copies and are happy to stream when before to have their favorites they would have to buy recordings and tapes and DVDs. There goes half of your audience right there. There are very few women on this site as there are very few on audio sites. Not that they don't love music and movies as much as men(go to the cinema and music halls you'll find there are as many women as there are men if not more) they just don't have the manic need for collecting these kinds of things and upgrading at every possible improvement. Men are ocd when it comes to these things and women are most definitely not. Though when it comes to music women might have better hearing than men. They hear things instantly in a music system if you've changed a component and they happen to walk through the room. 'You've changed something.'

Last edited:

OLDTIMER

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken S-B
It would be wonderful if even a fraction of the films being listed here are ever released, either on Blu or UHD. But the sad reality is that as time goes by, the cost-return for their release on these formats becomes less and less until their release becomes financially impossible. Sad!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
It would be wonderful if even a fraction of the films being listed here are ever released, either on Blu or UHD. But the sad reality is that as time goes by, the cost-return for their release on these formats becomes less and less until their release becomes financially impossible. Sad!
I would say right now despite wanting some films redone we do need titles to debut to get interest

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Did the OCNs of Easter Parade and MMISL survive the Eastman fire?
The Techincolor restoration Laserdisc of Easter Parade was stunningly good compared to the dvd and Blu heck my Super 8 sound print looks better too!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The Sound of Music is under the Disney/Fox banner now. The chances of getting it re-released from Disney Inc, a company which currently cannot even honor its own legacy with main stream releases of its live-action catalog in quality 1080p transfers has no business owning such a formidable back log of treasured movie history - today, tragically, regarded as mere 'asset management'!
Disney should just let a firm like Kino etc handle theirs and Fox's catalog would get more moolah and better treatment of the classics in their catalog!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Did the OCNs of Easter Parade and MMISL survive the Eastman fire?
Wonder if RAH knows

ROCHESTER, May 30 (AP)—Officials at the George Eastman House International Museum of Photography said today that fire damage to their collection of rare movie films and still photographs was not as great as they originally feared.
A vault containing the original negatives of 327 early feature films, short subjects and cartoons was destroyed. Among the original films lost were “Boys Town,” starring Spencer Trney, and “Strike Up the Band,” starring Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland. But M‐G‐M Studios, which had donated the films, has prints of all of them, according to Wesley T. Hanson, chairman of the museum's board of directors.
A dozen cases loaded with the museum's traveling collection of silll photos were saved by Rochester firemen, but an Edward Weston print valued at $1,000 was destroyed, museum officials said.
Four buildings were burned in the two‐alarm fire yesterday afternoon. The cause of the blaze was listed as spontaneous combustion. The damage has not been estimated.

It had been feared that 100,000 oneof‐a‐kind films and photographs, including some rare footage of the comedian Buster Keaton, were destroyed in the fire. but this was not so, the museum said.
The M‐G‐M films that were lost had been packed for shipment to a laboratory where the flammable nitrate‐based originals were to be copied onto modern acetate‐based safety film.

• Dig deeper into the moment.
Special offer: Subscribe for $1 a week.

The fire did not damage the museum itself, or the nearby Dryden Theater.
Associated Press
Firemen pouring water Into burning storage shed Monday at the Eastman photography museum in Rochester

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Wonder if RAH knows

ROCHESTER, May 30 (AP)—Officials at the George Eastman House International Museum of Photography said today that fire damage to their collection of rare movie films and still photographs was not as great as they originally feared.
A vault containing the original negatives of 327 early feature films, short subjects and cartoons was destroyed. Among the original films lost were “Boys Town,” starring Spencer Trney, and “Strike Up the Band,” starring Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland. But M‐G‐M Studios, which had donated the films, has prints of all of them, according to Wesley T. Hanson, chairman of the museum's board of directors.
A dozen cases loaded with the museum's traveling collection of silll photos were saved by Rochester firemen, but an Edward Weston print valued at $1,000 was destroyed, museum officials said.
Four buildings were burned in the two‐alarm fire yesterday afternoon. The cause of the blaze was listed as spontaneous combustion. The damage has not been estimated.

It had been feared that 100,000 oneof‐a‐kind films and photographs, including some rare footage of the comedian Buster Keaton, were destroyed in the fire. but this was not so, the museum said.
The M‐G‐M films that were lost had been packed for shipment to a laboratory where the flammable nitrate‐based originals were to be copied onto modern acetate‐based safety film.

• Dig deeper into the moment.
Special offer: Subscribe for $1 a week.

The fire did not damage the museum itself, or the nearby Dryden Theater.
Associated Press
Firemen pouring water Into burning storage shed Monday at the Eastman photography museum in Rochester

Still hoping for a restored blu ray of Northwest Passage!

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Why has the very good Sidney Franklin 1956 Cinemascope remake of THE BARRETTS OF WIMPOLE STREET never been released on vhs, dvd or blu ray? Beautifully shot in the UK. I actually prefer it to the 1934 version, as good as it is. No doubt in Perspecta Stereophonic sound. I have it from TCM in letterbox format. It is unusual when a director remakes one of his own films. He uses the same score. Probably Jennifer Jones' last really good screen performance, though she has her moments in A FAREWELL TO ARMS, TENDER IS THE NIGHT and THE TOWERING INFERNO. Come on WAC, please give us this classic on blu ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks