What's new

3D An Advance Look at "3-D Rarities" from the 3-D Film Archive and Flicker Alley (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I know I've mentioned this before but it's worth repeating. If you could please take a moment and leave us a review/rating on Amazon, that would be terrific. (Even if you purchased elsewhere, you can still post a review.) Every little bit helps and people do make purchase decisions based on those customer reviews.

Thank you!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My disc came right as I was leaving for a trip, but once I get back and see it, I'll be glad to. I can't remember if I did for your earlier 3D releases but if I haven't I'll go back and get some positive feedback in there too.

Although I didn't have time to watch 3D Rarities yet, I did at least get to open the shrink wrap and I have to say, it's a beautifully packaged disc. Great artwork and design, and the liner notes are absolutely terrific (I love good liner notes!). Even the choice of what kind of plastic case to use was top notch - it really feels like a collector's item. I'm going to be really happy to have it on my shelf and to show it off.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
That's very kind, Josh. Thank you.

We were very fortunate to secure outstanding writers and each essay is chock full of interesting information.

Check out the commentary tracks too. Jack Theakston and Thad Komorowski knocked them out of the park!

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
The commentary on "Thru' the Trees" reminded me of of someone's remark when I showed them some of my Nimslo 3D lenticular photos: "They should supply a free tree branch with every camera so you can dangle it in front of the lenses".

Things I've learned from "3D Rarities":

Lloyd Nolan should never attempt to smile because it's creepy.

If what they said about John Ireland was true, he should have smiled more often (constantly, in fact).

England is not the only country with a heritage of sinister, disturbing puppet shows.

Black and white 3D is much more impressive than colour.

Pillar box aspect ratio is the way to go.

Some people are too dumb to obey safety advice before an atom bomb goes off.

Jose Ferrer only had one facial expression

Terrible comedians and hopeless strippers are still terrible and hopeless in 3D.

I loved this disc and found it immensely entertaining. The restoration is excellent and the contents are fascinating bits of Americana.

The only downer is that the trailers for "The Maze" and "It Came from Outer Space" make me want to see the actual movies even more desperately.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I know these things are inevitable, but you never quite get used to how stupid and inconsiderate people can be...

Someone has posted a one-star "review" on Amazon because, out of the 2 1/2 hours of content, the only things he didn't find to be "one boring jumble" were the movie trailers.

A quick perusal of this person's reviews of other items shows one-star (and a couple of two-star) ratings on eleven of thirteen items. The remaining two items were rewarded five stars: a book on UFOs, and the 25th anniversary concert of Les Miserables.

I believe that, as obviously mindless and undeserving as they may be, bad Amazon reviews can have their effect. There are already a few comments posted to his "review", but the only way to actually offset the harm this kind of nonsense can do is to get even more positive ones up there. Have all of the 3-D aficionados here taken a moment to post something in support of the efforts of Bob, Greg, Jack, and the rest of the team?

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
In addition to posting my 5 star review to Amazon a few days ago. I just added a respectful comment to this person's 1 star review.

I'm sure that this one poor review will not impact the overall sales very much, if at all. Especially considering that many other positive comments to it have already been left.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think you can also vote that an Amazon comment is helpful or not helpful, so you can do that for unfairly negative reviews as well. I'm looking forward to getting home and seeing my copy and I'm sure it's gonna be great fun. Bob and Greg haven't let me down yet!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Bob Furmanek said:
I know I've mentioned this before but it's worth repeating. If you could please take a moment and leave us a review/rating on Amazon, that would be terrific. (Even if you purchased elsewhere, you can still post a review.)
My Amazon comment:

I haven't had as much fun watching 3-D on my t.v. as I had while watching this! A tremendous amount of time and technology went into the restoration of these 22 little movies, and the dimensional effect is awesome. Not only is the depth way-y deeper than you see in any current Hollywood 3-D movie, but the "pop-out" effects (objects puncturing the space right before your eyes...you feel you could touch them!) are frequent and astonishing. If you own a 3-D t.v., I suggest you buy a copy of this without hesitation -- you will be supporting potential future 3-D releases of classic films by telling the studios that you want more! If you haven't already invested in a 3-D set, this disc alone makes a purchase worthwhile...and if you need further persuasion, keep in mind that, although Disney has inexplicably pulled support of domestic 3-D Blu-rays (after all, they were a major early supporter of the format and convinced many of us to buy into it), there are plenty of other 3-D titles currently in production from other studios which are almost certain to be released on home video in 3-D here in the USA. No, 3-D ISN'T DEAD.

For this thread I would add that this is probably going to be, out of 111 3-D discs I own, the one I will return to for repeat views more than any other.

This disc is receiving a multitude of great reviews on Amazon, most in more depth (pardon the pun) than mine as I didn't want to be redundant, so hopefully good sales for this release will support future projects.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I have no problem with a negative review that offers some kind of constructive criticism, but this one is ridiculous.

Apparently, he is watching 3-D RARITIES converted to anaglyphic with a "3-D Video Wizard."

If you don't mind, can you please take a moment to vote/respond to the one-star ripoff "review" from June 25: http://www.amazon.com/3-D-Rarities-Blu-ray-Macdonald-Carey/product-reviews/B00VGXABLI/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt_rgt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=recent&reviewerType=all_reviews&formatType=all_formats&filterByStar=critical&pageNumber=1#RIUSY4LWSUCFB

Thank you very much!

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Bob Furmanek said:
I have no problem with a negative review that offers some kind of constructive criticism, but this one is ridiculous.

Apparently, he is watching 3-D RARITIES converted to anaglyphic with a "3-D Video Wizard."

If you don't mind, can you please take a moment to vote/respond to the one-star ripoff "review" from June 25: http://www.amazon.com/3-D-Rarities-Blu-ray-Macdonald-Carey/product-reviews/B00VGXABLI/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt_rgt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=recent&reviewerType=all_reviews&formatType=all_formats&filterByStar=critical&pageNumber=1#RIUSY4LWSUCFB

Thank you very much!

Done and done.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
When Mike pointed out that he was (most likely) watching with a 3-D Wizard converter, my jaw dropped.

Someone just observed that our other one-star review is from a person that has left a whopping 13 reviews in the past 6 years - and 11 are negative.

Sigh...

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Bob,

Don't let a few 1 star reviews get you down.

I've been buying on Amazon for many years. I almost always read the reviews of products that I'm unsure of. After a while, it's fairly easy for me to tell which reviews are made by honest, intelligent people who know what they're talking about, and which ones are from idiots with no clue, have an axe to grind, or competitors.

In the end, the truth will out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks