AMX Touchscreens?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Wright, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Does anyone here have any experience with AMX touchscreens?

I recently aquired an AMX touchscreen model # AXT-CP. This is a color panel. All I have is the touchscreen and the power supply. It powers up and works great but I need to interface it to my home automation & home theater system. Specifically I want to be able to send IR and X-10 signals from it.

However, I have no idea how to go about this. Do I connect it to a PC and pass commands back and forth? If so, what sort of software do I use? The manual talks about an AXCESS Control System; what exactly can I do with this, and what kind of prices should I be looking at to obtain one?

Any info you have on AMX systems and/or this model specifically would be greatly appreciated!

2. Carl Longnecker

You need an AMX controller like an Axcent2 or a NetLink master. Those touch screens can not sends RS232 signals; the RS232 port is for programming only.
    You can get the software to program the panel from www.amx.com Check out the dealer support -> software center for TPDesign and TPDesign3. You will have to register to get into that section, but that's no problem; it's free.
    Check the firmware version of your panel. Plug in the power, switch to the main menu, and press the setup button in the lower-right corner. If you have version 3 or higher, you need TPDesign3; if lower, you need TPDesign. Snag a null modem cable, and use it to download the programming.
    Programming in AMX is not trivial. If you don't have experience programming, I wouldn't suggest it.

3. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the response. The original post was made back in January. I've since purchased an Axcent3, various other boxes, and set the whole thing up. I've since accumulated a lot of AMX experience (Axcess line), so if anyone else around here needs help setting up a system or help with Axcess programming, let me know..