What's new

Amusing "They Live" dvd conspiracy theory (1 Viewer)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
This isn't true is it, because THEY LIVE is a huge favorite of mine? If its true, I'll be pissed off GREATLY!

Jeremy

Stunt Coordinator
That is funny.

No, this movie was licensed to Image and the contact expired, thus it went out of print.

No conspiracy, just vivid imagination and urband legends mixed together.

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
I hope this isn't true! I mean I am sure the government didn't order this pulled off shelves, but it is going for 80.00 and up on amazon and 60.00 and aboveon EBay. I wish I had bought this when I had the chance:frowning:
dan

Brett G

Stunt Coordinator
Not to mention that the DVD is going for about $70 for a sealed copy on eBay, which is not uncommon for an OOP DVD, and much less than the $500 he talks about. Opened copies can be had for about $40, again not uncommon for OOP.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I like it when people believe this and a great practical joke I think. Come on with the special edition
:emoji_thumbsup:

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
What a dweeb! Image's contract expired with Universal. That's it. I admit to selling my copy of They Live! for a tidy amount (I got it for $5). Get the german version called Sie Lieben if you want the Piper commentary. It's a niche film, so I assume Universal will release it for about a tenner sooner or later.

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
Gee, I bought my They Live fo $19 from an Amazon seller about 5 months ago. At that time, the most expensive copy I saw for sale was around $45.

Go figure ...

Deborah

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
Three reasons I sold mine:

1) I HATE SNAPPERS!!!
2) Got a lot of $$$ for it
3) Another version is out there (German) and one can expect a re-release in the future.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Some time after the horrors of 9/11, THEY LIVE was ordered to be taken off of the shelves
Um, no, it went out of print for Image quite some time BEFORE that date, along with at least one other Carpenter film, Prince of Darkness.

Both are tough to find right now due to this. I remember hearing about them going OOP some time ago which is why I made sure to get my copies even though they were bare bones. (and the last time I watched either was in 2000, so that is how long ago the OOP news was out there...I keep viewing info in my DVD dB)

IMO, this website is some guy trying to get more money out of some spare copies of the DVD.

Please, let's not perpetuate the false hype on something like this. The film is custom made for conspiracy freaks due to it's story, but has about as much threat to it as Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Universal has no plans to release it...well no shit, like that's the first title not on the radar. So does that mean that the government is holding back Raiders on DVD too?

Copies missing from stores, gee, rent a DVD worth $80+ due to scarcity and I wonder what happens.

Then the guy says "Go verify" but he simply tells you to verify what we all know - that the Image DVD is OOP and rare, therefore hard to find and expensive.

What a dork.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
David Baerwald of "David & David" fame has his own message board? Jeez. I have his two solo records and they're pretty good.

Prince of Darkness and They Live were my first 2 DVD purchases back in late 1998-- before I even had a DVD player!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
David Baerwald of "David & David" fame has his own message board? Jeez. I have his two solo records and they're pretty good.
Yes, but then look at the crap being posted there. Poor guy.
Why do people feel the need to pirate message boards about some other subject? Could the guy just take his They Live news to AICN or HTF instead? Why the Baerwald message board of all places? :rolleyes

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
Mark-

Baerwald has a new album coming out next month called "Here Comes The New Funk Underground". It consists of rerecordings of songs he released on a limited 2 disc set called "A Fine Mess" that was sold to fans on the web site for $20. A great collection of songs featuring the likes of Sheryl Crow, Jewel, Kevin Gilbert and so on, all recorded live and loose - just downright fun listening.

I beleive this clown posted his conspiracy theory here because Baerwald is fairly outspoken regarding a few conspiracies he subscribes to himself. All that aside- Baerwald is a great musician, singer and songwriter. He was nominated for an oscar this past year for "Come What May" from Moulin Rouge. Not his best work but certainly not bad.

Jimmy

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
addendum-

Baerwald is a regular contributor to the board but is absent as of late due to the fact that he is touring.

J

PS- More often than not, the discussions revolve around political issues rather than music. Go figure...

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Get the german version called Sie Lieben if you want the Piper commentary.
Unfortunately I understand that you can't actually obtain this over the internet (from Amazon.de for example) from Germany because films with an 18 classification (as this has in Germany) are prohibited from mail order sale. Talk about a restrictive law!

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Well, that's news to me! I was under the impression that Come What May was ineligible to be nominated because it was originally written for Romeo + Juliet. Actually, I'm certain of it.
Phenomenal song though! Why is it that all the biggest Oscar travesties seem to involve the Best Song category?
Regarding the article on They Live...I choose not to believe this B.S. I think any covert agencies may have more important things to worry about than an old Carpenter flick. Unless the U.S. is currently working on some super-groovy sunglasses technology. :laugh:
P.S. Those looking for a copy can get one at Half.com for $39.99 - a fair price for an OOP disc.

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
Why do some you guys take the article seriously? It is obviously a joke.

I wouldn't hold my hopes up for a R1 release of the R2 commentary. I read somewhere that there's a rights issue...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks