Amusing mistake on The Blues Brothers DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Travis_W, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

I was checking in this Cast & Crew section under Dan Akroyd and his filmography lists 'Ghostbusters III' from 1998. Hmm... I don't seem to remember that one, does anyone else? [​IMG]. Anyone else ever see a mistake in a filmography like this one?

2. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

I think it was the original title for "Pearl Harbor". I could be mistaken.

3. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

That's funny. If only it were true ...

4. Drew Reiber

Drew Reiber Supporting Actor

Wasn't that about the time that Dan Akroyd had Ghostbusters III set up with Chris Farley taking Murray's spot or some such? I seem to remember a lot of hooplah and rumors about it until Farley's death, which followed with Akroyd spilling the beans on how it was true but it all fell apart.

5. Rob Dwyer

Rob Dwyer Stunt Coordinator

6. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

There is also a dvd (I can't remember which) that has a Chevy Chase filmography listing FLETCH III. Kevin Smith was originally going to write/direct FLETCH III with Chevy, but things fell apart (mainly Chevy's career) and the role of Fletch was given to Jason Lee. I don't know what the current status is.

Most of the filmographies on dvd come from IMDB.com, which is not exactly accurate at all times. They tend to list future projects as credits, even though they haven't actually started filming. You'd think that the writers who compile filmographies/liner notes for dvds would actually know their subjects a little better.

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

And your evidence for this statement is...?

I would think that most DVD filmographies come from the studio publicity department and ultimately from the reps of the talent involved. I've seen several "goof" listings like this, and all involved projects that were scheduled at the time the DVD was being produced, and expected to be released around the time the DVD was (don't forget, lead times used to be a lot longer in 1997/98 than they are today.) So yeah, sometimes they include mentions of films that never happened. (Haven't there been a few pics that advertised a "part two" that never materialized at the end of their credits?)

Regards,

Joe

8. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

There was a sequel announced at the end of "Making the Grade" that never happened, also a Doctor Detroit II: The Wrath of Mom, and Airplane III.
    New Line DVDs list IMDB as their information source, I don't know what other companies use though.

9. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

Many DVDs list IMDB as the source if you root through the credits. Some put it right on the filmography page.

10. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

When I interviewed Harold Ramis earlier this year, I asked about Ghostbusters 3. I'd asked if he was ever considered to direct the first Ghostbusters, and as part of that he said:

HR: It was never a question of me directing. Actually, it came up though that when Dan was beating the drums for a Ghostbusters 3, he wanted me to direct that.

CJ: I can remember some early DVDs listed Ghostbusters 3 on Aykroyd’s filmography – I guess that was a little premature!

HR: He wrote a draft – he definitely wrote a draft.

CJ: Why didn’t that ever happen?

HR: It turned out to be a deal that couldn’t be made. Everyone wanted too much – there wasn’t enough left for the studio.

11. Chad A Wright

What I wouldn't give for a Ghostbusters 3. Isn't ironic that we get sequel after sequel of total crap (Tomb Raider for example) but can't get a more sequels for something great like Ghostbusters.

12. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Id love to see a Fletch 3 but I dont want another Ghostbusters without Murray. He stole the first one for me.

13. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Well, Ghostbusters 1 was great. I thought the second one sucked.

I don't know why anyone would want to continue that. It's clear that Murray has much more range than Akroyd. If he's not in it, why bother?

Hey, anyone notice Akroyd's cameo in Temple of Doom? With the new DVDs I just noticed it.

14. Chad A Wright

I agree, they shouldn't have a Ghostbusters 3 without Murray. But, I enjoyed Ghostbusters 2 a lot. Still one of my favorite movies to watch around the New Year.

15. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I never knew that about Ackroyd being in TOD, what character did he play ?

16. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Webber: "Ah, Dr. Jones. I'm Earl Webber. I spoke with your assistant and managed to secure three seats. However, there might be a *slight* inconvenience as you will be riding on a cargo plane full of live poultry."

17. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

thanks

[​IMG]

18. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Once upon a time, I wrote a "for fun" treatment and script for a Ghostbusters 3 that featured only Ackroyd and Murray in very small cameo roles... I had invisioned the new ghostbusters to be Owen Wilson, Jack Black, and Don Cheadle.

Of course, that was 1998- when no one knew who Jack was, and before any one of those guys could get more than a few bucks per movie...

Was kinda funny- will have to find it sometime and post some pieces [​IMG]

-vince

19. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I would have loved to see that come to fruition Vince.