What's new

Amps (1 Viewer)

Peter Moss

Auditioning
Looking at some Amps to use with a SonoSub. Any thoughts on Samson, Pyle and Crown. I have heard good things about Samson and Crown but could save some money with Pyle. But, if everyone has a "You get what you pay for" warning on the Pyles then I will avoid them. Your thoughts please.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
It would help to know what driver and alignment you plan to use. It would also help to know which models and power range you are considering. Samson and Crown are well regarded amplifiers.

Peter Moss

Auditioning
Have a SonoSub with a Blueprint 12in 4ohm 1000+ sub driver. Looking at either a Crown CE1000 (primarily because it can do bridging of 1000 watts at 4ohm) or a Samson S2000 (1 channel is 1000 watts but cannot use it bridged cause it goes to 8ohm) or a Pyle PT-2000 (same situation as the Samson).

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Avoid Pyle like the plague. All their amps are marked "1,000 Watts P.M.P.O.!" Which translates to "Even if struck by lightning, you'll not get enough power out of this POS to power a set of earbuds."

Crown is very highly regarded for sub amps. Samson slightly less so.

I have a Crown CE-2000. It's quite a workhorse.
My brother has the CE-2000. No complaints with either.
He shorted the CE-1000 and dimmed the house lights. The Amp was fine. ;)

Depending on your alignment, you may exceed xmax with 1000 watts. The fan noise is something to consider, there are fanless amps, or, QSC has an option to get the quieter fans. I'm not sure if crown offers this as I haven't checked. If I'm running my amp at full tilt, I won't hear the fans at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks