What's new

Amps vs Amps. Help choose winner. (1 Viewer)

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator
Jorge;

Let me tell you that the eternal argument (for the few) which doesn't believe most amps sound different from others, is a dying one.
Too bad Shane Martin brought the subject up, since he's correct. That is why there are so many audio/video publications doing subjective reviewing, why there are hundreds of different amps (I'm touching on amps here for argument's sake) and why anyone with two good ears carefully audition, ask, borrow, and read about them before buying, and especially when upgrading. When Stereo Review, the eternal skeptics wrote 20 or so years ago that a regular Pioneer receiver sounded identical to a Mark Levinson... ha,ha,ha, that's a subject left behind two decades ago!
If you thought all sounded the same, would you be asking our opinions? Why upgrade, everything sounds the same. Why buy Krell when you can have Samsung?
All amps on your list sound different from each other. Too bad you can't take 'em home to see for yourself!

Quick and simplistic review with your Klipsch: Aragon - too bright,great bass / Bryston - too bright, great bass / Ati - bright,good everywhere else / Classe - sweet grainless but recessed treble which may be ideal with the Klipsch (all boils down to personal preferences) / Anthem - less dynamic punch than the others/ ok bass punch. The rest (Parasound/Halo/Rotel)tend to be neutral-to-sweet (Rotel) and dynamic, with the Earthquake having bass slam to blow your woofers out of their baskets. Mr. Carver PURPOSELY designs his Sunfire amps with recessed midrange output to create a "tube-like" sound with solid state punch.

Don't believe me, buy anything you want. I had 4 Aragons in my 2 channel system with my Thiels (I had many other brands too), but within the same brand all had their differences with the 4004MKII my beloved favorite and the 8008ST having my ears bleeding with its shrill (bright ) top-end response, but had trampoline tight bass that the 4004 did not match (it was rounder, slower with the 4004).

It,s all up to you!

Enjoy your search WITH YOUR OWN EARS!

JaimeB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks