Amps vs Amps. Help choose winner.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jorge UF, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Jorge UF

Jorge UF Stunt Coordinator

So many amps and so little money, what to do???? I have started narrowing down the amps a little bit and was hoping you guys can help me choose a winner.

1. Bryston 9B sst or 9B ST. 5 x 120. A little bit out of my range, but might get lucky on audiogon and I would be willing to stretch the budget a smidgent. 20 yrs of warranty is nice, but my concern is that many have said that they are bright, This true?

2. Sherbourn 5/5210. 5 x 200. Well within the budget. Uses the same mono block design that bryston uses and also comes highly reccomended from people. Cheapest of the bunch.

3. Parasound Halo A51 or A52. A51 250 x5 or A52 125 x 5. The A51 is a bit out of my budget range, but again like the bryston I would be willing to find something on audiogon and stretch the budget. Lookwise I think its the best looking out of the group, but that takes a back seat to sound. Also highly reccomended by many people here.

4. Classe CAV 180. 5 x 180. Supposedly a good match with "brighter speakers" . Would also take a used one and a budget stretch. Reccomended by many for horn speakers.

5. Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature. 5 X 400 older model or 425 newer model. Would have to get the older model due to price on audiogon or get the newer model and stretch the budget again. Got the most watts out of the group and also looks sexy.

I appreciate any help you could give me. By the way this amp will be used with the Klipsch Reference 7 package. Course any of these amps will be able to drive these efficient speakers but I want to leave some headroom just in case I end up getting new speakers in the bedroom or whatever. Of course feel free to throw in any other amps, but please pick one of these 5 when you respond. Thanks!

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Brystons are great amps but they have some bite to them in the upper end. Not brightness but just a little too extended for my tastes. They would certainly be a bad match for Klipschs, IMHO. Brystons are a great match for speakers that have something like a silk dome tweeter, like Vienna's or Sonus Fabers.

My top choice would be Classe. Plently of smooth and I mean SMOOTH sound and rock solid bass. They would be the best match to Klipsch. Parasound would be my second choice as they are also warm and laidback sounding and a good match with horn speakers. I haven't heart the Sherbourn but from what I read here they are great amps so I think you should consider those too. I have never been a great fan of Sunfire as I feel they muffle the sound at low to moderate volumes. They however sound great at loud volumes. You really need to crank them up to release the beast within them.

I notice that you haven't included B&K and Rotel in your shortlist. B&K amps are silky smooth and I would put them right alongside Classe in preference. The Rotel would also be a great match with horn speakers right after Parasound.

My 2 cents.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I'd have to agree with the above poster in the the classe would be my first choice from the list you have. I also agree that the Rotel RMB 1095 would be an ideal choice as well and it looks fantastic IMO.

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I'm sure there will be a post that comes in behind me that states Amps don't have a sound or blah blah blah blind test or something else. Let's move on from that and hope not [​IMG]

Out of your choices I'd focus on the Sherbourn, B&K(you can snag one easily), Classe, and even a Rotel. Klipschs don't need alot of power but all of these will be a nice amp. I personally would go with the Sherbourn, Rotel or B&K and save some dough.

5. Jorge UF

shane as I continue to research this topic, I think I may be leaning towards going the cheaper route. I keep reading many opinions from people not being able to tell the difference amongst quality amps. I really should have thrown in the B&K 200.5 or the 125.5 because its the only brand that my local dealer here carries. Keep the suggestions coming guys I really appreciate it.

6. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

I used the Rotel 1095 with my Klipsch Forte speakers for a few years. I don't think you could go wrong with either the Rotel or Parasound IMO.

Are you planning on using the Yamaha receiver with the amp? I've alway found Yamaha on the bright side myself. I personally wouldn't match Klipsch with Yamaha. A friend brought over his Yamaha receiver to my house one time and I was glad to see it out of my system after a very short time. But, that's just me.

Now, if your planning on adding a pre/pro with the amp. Then I'd say your well on your way to a really nice setup.

7. Jorge UF

As I keep up the research and off of your replies and in other forums, I am starting to lean away from some choices and I wish to include some others. Man I change my mind too quick. Well the wallet has a lot to do with this as well. Which is the main reason that I am getting rid of Bryston, sunfire, and classe(which has gotten the most reccomendations with klipsch) I just don't see myself finding a good enough deal to warrant the extra cash. To substitute for these I am adding 2 more.

So its between
    1. Parasound Halo A52
    2. B&K 200.5 or 125.5
    3. Aragon 2005
    4. Sherbourn 5/5210

Unless I can get the Bryston or Classe close to 2k I can't really consider them. Thanks again fellas. Any of you ever seen the Bryston or Classe amps close to this range?

8. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Aragon again is neutral to forward so I would rule that out as a good match to Klipsch, IMHO of course.

My preference would be in the following order.

1)B&K.
    2)Parasound.
    3)Rotel/Sherbourn.

And I would like to point out that no amp is a winner here just different is what they are. They are all good amps and you would be happy with either one of them given the right speaker mate.

9. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I would think that unless you have a cavernous HT room or you like the subtle sensation of bleeding ears, 200 WPC is somewhat overkill for the Klipsches you have. Anyways, 200 WPC will only get 3 dB more output from each of your speakers (which, depending on placement and other variables, could be a higher total output value). If I were you, I would look at three amps that will match well will your Klipsches:

1. Rotel 1075
    2. Parasound A52
    3. B&K 125.5

The Classe units are very nice, too, and their midrange is even sweeter than the amps mentioned above. Sunfire amps are nice, as well, but I find that their midrange seems a little veiled when compared to the Rotel, Parasound and B&K. If you really want the top of the line amps for High Res and Vinyl, take a look at some of the Krell Showcase, Theta Intrepid, Proceed Amp 5, Mcintosh 7205 or somthing along those lines. JMHO

10. Jorge UF

Well 2k is what i have to spend on the amp, since i still have to get a preamp. SO Theta and krell are unfortunately out of the picture. I keep getting all these reccomendations for rotel, although I too have heard that rotel has "bright" amps.

Ya I know 200 watts is a complete overkill, but I just want a great sounding amp that I can maybe use on the dynaudio contour T2.5. With 86 db of sensitivity they will be screaming for juice. But thats in the distant future. For now it wont hurt to get the best amp I can get.

11. RichardHOS

RichardHOS Second Unit

12. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Is there any reason you wouldn't want the Parasound 1205A or 2205A for your Klipsch? They're not Halos, but they are wonderful amps with a reputation for mating up extremely well with the Klipsch Reference line.

13. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

14. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Personally, I can't figure out what's important to you and what your weighing factors are.
    On the one hand, you state an interest in used amps but that may come with no warranty.
    How're you factoring service if needed? Are local places nearby or are you willing to eat s/h?
    What about the length of warranty?
    Resale value?
    Will the future see you possibly getting 4 ohm speakers, in which case getting an amp that specifically states its power specifications into that load should be given consideration.
    See yourself getting into balanced connections?
    12 Volt triggers?
    Ever thought about a 2 channel and a 3 channel? That way if one needs service, you can still have music.
    Maybe monoblocks?

15. Arthur Vino

Arthur Vino Stunt Coordinator

look into ATi 3005(7) - a BEAST!!! or 2005 series.. 300x5 and 200x5
    Outlaw also (cheap)

I would go with Parasound A51 from your choices, but I might be biased, because I just bought a51..

16. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

I'm partial to SimAudio's myself [​IMG] Not overly insanely expensive,but pricey, and EXTREMELY nice amps and components.

17. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

ATI and Outlaw would be much to bright sounding for Klipshe IMO...not that they're not good amps just not the best choice for klipshe.

18. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

19. Jorge UF

20. Jorge UF

what exactly do the different classes in amps mean? What is the advantage of having balanced inputs? I still haven't made up my mind because basically all those amps get reccomended by people so there is practically no way for me to seperate them.
    Based on my research and keeping in mind theey are powering kllipsch, If I had to rank them now I guess it would be like this:

1. Classe CAV180
    2. Bryston 9b sst
    3. a. Halo A52
    3. b. ATI 2005
    3. c. Earthquake CineNova Grande 5
    3. d. B&K 200.5
    3. e. Aragon 2005
    3. f. Sherbourn 5/5210
    3. g. Rotel RMB 1095
    3. h. Anthem MCA 50

Those last 8 I have assembled pretty much in the same group, but still in order of ranking because my research really hasn't led me to believe that one is actually that much better than the other.
    Would you guys agree with this ranking?