Amps to bi-amp Paradigm Studio 40s

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James_T, Oct 12, 2001.

1. James_T

James_T Stunt Coordinator

I am currently looking to buy two 5-channel amps to bi-amp two sets of Paradigm Studio 40s (front and sides). I want to spend anywhere from $1000-1200 total on both amps. Some options I have seen are:
    1) H/K Signature 2.1 from jandr.com (100X5w, $499)
    2) Carver AV705x sold on ebay (125X5w, ~550)
    My preamp for these is a Denon 3802. What else should I be considering for amps?
    Also, should I passively bi-amp or actively bi-amp? For the latter, how much more would it cost to purchase the external crossover (assume I'd buy something lower end given how much I am spending on the rest of my gear)? Is this relatively easy to do? Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. James_T

*bump*

3. Mickey Brown

Mickey Brown Stunt Coordinator

I picked up a Carver 705x for $600 and am very pleased with it. I am biamping my Studio 40's, and using the other channel for the center.
    It really helps. It really brought out the bass in the speakers.

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

My opinion is that biwiring is the same as going to a heavier gauge wire and replacing the jumper plates with short pieces of that same heavier gauge wire.
    Passive biamping is the same as adding a single amp with more power. Both amps are still amplifing all of the signal the speaker is to receive and the crossover network is still removing the that power from the appropriate drivers. Nothing has changed except you have more power available to the speaker.
    Active biamping on the other is a whole other story, now you are running the crossover network before you amplify anything. So now each of the amps is only amplifing the portion of the signal that is going to the driver it is powering. This has all sorts of benefits.
    You can contact Paradigm and see if they will tell you how to defeat the passive crossover network of your speakers. I kind of doubt they will though (they are tight with technical info, won't even tell you tuning frequencies of their woofs, or send you response curves). You could also ask in the DIY/Advanced section of this site and several others to see if someone has done it or knows how. Then defeat it, get an active crossover and use your two less expensive amps.
    If you can't defeat the crossover, I'd recommend spending the $1000-1200 on a single more powerful, more refined amp than two cheaper less powerful amps.
    ------------------
    Dustin
    bart107@sk.sympatico.ca
    My Adire Tempest Sonosub

5. James_T

Thanks for the responses.
    About how much does a decent active crossover?