What's new

Amps or new speakers? (1 Viewer)

BrianRS

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have HTD Level III towers and center up front, level III bookshelf as side surrounds and little freebie KLH's as rear surrounds all powered by a denon 3802. (also a 20-39pc)
My question is: would there be any benefit to add seperate amps for any of these enty level speakers or am I better off spending the money on upgrading the speakers themselves?

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
The current speakers might get better with a dedicated amp, but new speakers will yield the most improvement.

DanaA

Screenwriter
This is abnormal for me, but I have to go along with the new speakers. First of all, I think you already have a good receiver. I would go to places where I you can try out speakers matched to the Denon. But, I'd also save up for speakers that will satisfy you for years to come. Although you can sell your used stuff, you really end up losing on each transaction. That said, there are some very fine speakers that don't cost that much, but that's a matter for the speaker section of HTF.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
No matter what speakers you have a new amp will be a vast improvement over the amp section of the Denon. You will get a new sound, more expanded soundstage and detail that you never had before. If you can get yourself a good deal on an amp I would suggest that first. If you get new speakers I would demo as many possible with your receiver to see which one is the best match. If you do go with new speakers I think a couple of months from now you'll be aching for an amp. In my opinion I would get the amp first.

Kevin

Bob Marker

Stunt Coordinator
I would definately go with a speaker upgrade. In fact, based on my experience, I'd agree with Julian Hirsch (Stero Review and Sound&Vision) among others, who have indicated that it is your speakers along with the source material that essentially determines the sound of a system. Personally, I've owned a number of amps over the last several years ranging in price from $100 to about $2,500 and have found them to perform equally well driving various speakers includng Thiel, Fried, and Norh.
Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks