AMPS: Marantz MM-9000 or Sony TA-N9000ES?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Leo_P, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

I'm ready to start down the road to separates. FYI, I'll be using my h/k AVR520 as a pre/pro and I have an Axiom 5.1 speaker set-up.
    I can get the Sony amp, from an authorized dealer here in NYC, for $900. The Marantz, I'd probably get a refurb from ac4l.com for $700.
    I'm kinda leaning toward the Sony, even though I'm NOT a big fan of theirs, but the price seems right and that 5-year warranty is SWEET.
    The Marantz has a better price, it IS a refurb, but only has a one-year warranty. The MM9000 is also rated at 150 WPC, whereas the Sony is rated at 115 WPC. And let's not forget the THX Ultra certification...
    Any comments or suggestions would be great! Thanks.

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

3. TomH

TomH Second Unit

New, not refurb, MM9000's have been going for around $600.00. I think it is a discontinued product. Both of these amps are closer to receivers than separates. Take a look at ATI, Outlaw, Parasound, B&K or Adcom. Probably better off with one of these, even used, than the units you mentioned.
    Tom

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

5. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

Thanks for your responses!
    Kevin, thanks for that article. Very interesting and definitely puts a damper on things. [​IMG]
    Tom, I was also looking at the ATI 1505, the Parasound 1205A and the Adcom GFA-7500, but I can't find a good price on any of these locally. Anybody know of a good, REPUTABLE online retailer where I could find the ATI, Parasound or Adcom?
    I see that onecall.com, which seems reputable, has the ATI for $1100. Is that a good price?
    Reliableaudiovideo.com has the Parasound HCA-1205A for $992.95. That seems like a good price but is reliable.com RELIABLE? Anybody ever done business with them?
    TIA!

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Leo- I forgot one, and this might be more in your price range, but still an excellent piece of gear:

Outlaw.

7. Peter Donovan

You can get the Parasound through Audioadvisor.com, not always the cheapest around, but very reliable.