What's new

Amps in wall or not??????? (1 Viewer)

J.C. Hall

Grip
I currently am in the process of installing a dedicated 20 amp circuit in my HT room. Should I plug the amps directly to the wall or run them through my MonsterPower 5100? The amps are a Parasound HCA-3500 and a 2205AT. All other equipment will be on a 15 amp circuit. I have read from previous posted that people are doing both. Just looking for opinions.
Thanks,
J.C.
[email protected]

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
If you want protection against surges and spikes then hook it to the Monster. If the Monster doesn't starve the amps then keep it hooked, otherwise straight to wall. Personally I have mine hooked to my Monster HTS1000 and will so when I install the dedicated line. Are you installing the circuit yourself? If so how easy is it.

Kevin

DanaA

Screenwriter
Well, we're talking a bit of difference here, but for what it's worth, I have the Parasound 1205A plugged into my Monster 5000 line conditioner, with no noticable ill-effects. I really want to protect my equipment from surges, so I'd be in a real dilemma if that wasn't the case.

DanielSmi

Second Unit
one thing about the hts 5100 is that it has an internal 15 amp circuit breaker so you would lose the benefit of 20 amps if you plug it in through the powercenter, also it has an 1800 total watts max limit and if I read that correctly means that the total watts consumed by everything plugged into to it can't be more than 1800 watts together. So if your speakers aren't efficient you might max out your powercenter if you crank up the volume and it will automatically shutdown, but you wouldn't have that problem it you avoided the 5100 but then you wouldn't get the noise filtering. What else will you have plugged into the 5100 and how much power do they consume figure this out to see if you are in danger of overloading the 5100. I've played Gladiator at Reference level with my Vsx-49TX and the highest I saw the amp draw go on the 5100 was 5.2 amps but I do have three Klipsch speakers with 98db (center and side surrounds) sensitivity but my others are 89db (fronts) and I think like 85db (rear surrounds), I also had my dvd player (pioneer dv-38a) JBL PB10 and 27" vega all plugged into the 5100. That's the highest amp rating I've seen so far on it & hopefully it won't go any higher. if you worry about maxing the 5100 you could always by another for your other equipment if you can afford it ofcourse.:D
Daniel Smith

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
At last look, there's a Brickwall PR2AUD for sale in the forum. I cant believe it hasnt sold, and the owner just dropped the price another $25.

This two-outlet 20A unit is almost perfect surge protection for high-current amps. Some people will plug in their biggest amp, say a Parasound 2505A in one outlet, and their regular surge protector/power center into the other outlet, most especially if they live in lightning alley. I'd use a 20A wall duplex outlet in a 20A circuit using this Brickwall model if you dont feel comfortablew plugging the 2205AT into the wall outlet, tho in most circumstances I think Parasound says the unit is robust enough to do that.

I now see the 2205AT is even bigger than the 2505A, so I personally wouldn't plug into a Monster power center, even the 5100. It is true we overestimate how much amperage this stuff really draws in normal play: 5-8amps systemwide draw usually.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks