What's new

Amps in Canada? (1 Viewer)

Blair Gifford

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I would like to add a seperate amp to my Onkyo 797. I'm wondering what some good choices are for people in Canada.
I'm not sure if I want to go just 2 channel or maybe more.
Anyway, any advice would rock!

Thanks,
Blair

Vince Chan

Stunt Coordinator
Blair,

Anthem makes good amps, and they're a Canuck brand too, to boot! You might also want to check out Rotel, and Parasound, which are also popular here.
What type of speakers do you have?

Blair Gifford

Stunt Coordinator
Vince,

I looked at Anthem MCA5, and I liked it. Don't know where I would check out Rotel or parasound though.
I have klipsch speakers but they are about to be sold. I was looking at Paradigm studio 60's and I also looked at JM Lab. Any ideas for speaker as well?

Blair

Nick V

Second Unit
If you're willing to put down a substantial amount of money on a new amp I would recommend Bryston. They make some of the best amps in the world IMO and this is definitely going to be my choice for an amp when I get into separates.
The 9B SST THX is the one that I am looking at for sometime in the next two years. BTW, it's a 5 channel amp.
Also, the great thing about Bryston is their amps come with a 20 year warranty.:D

Blair Gifford

Stunt Coordinator
Word to big bird!
I did go to audio ark, and looked at the bryston 3b.
I like it a lot but its pricey for a 2 channel amp. at least for the budget I have. The bryston and the anthem are the only ones I've checked out.
The reason I don't want to buy a new one is because of the kick ass warranty. I'd like to get a used on that isn't too old.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
797 will do up to 6 channels (right?).

I would check out the Marantz or Anthems at Audio 5.1, maybe look at a two channel or three channel for the front sound stage.

The 797 will have adequate power to run the rears.

I mention 5.1 as they are more likely to negotiate. Some of the others listed have an aura of prima donna about them.

Did you find that the 797 has a buzz/hum in the rear speakers? It was found on a host of the Onkyos.

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
Blair,
I'm powering my Studio 60's with a Bryston 4B-ST. Got it for a great price two weeks ago. The ST's have been discontinued and replaced by the SST line. The dealers should be selling 3B-ST and 4B-ST stock and demos at a good discount right now. Oh, and before I forget, the Studio 60's like the added power and they sound wonderful with the Bryston. Much warmer sound than with the Yamaha that was driving them before.

For the center and surrounds, I picked up an Anthem MCA-3 (original model, not the series 2) a couple of days ago from a Toronto dealer. Brand new and unopened for $799 CND. Very nice sound also and I think it mates well with the Paradigm Studios. I'm told that Paradigm owns Anthem. If you can find one of these you cant't go wrong at the price. I'm sure it will serve me well until I can afford to put Brystons all around.

The other nice thing, for us Canucks, is that we can eventually add a Bryston or Anthem pre/pro and have a damn fine all Canadian system, eh.

Wayne

Sheldon

Stunt Coordinator
Blair,I believe that Bash amps are made in Canada.I don't have a link but the SVS guys use them for their subs now so they must be awesome right?I think that they may have a link on their site so check the SVS site.

Blair,
How much $$$ do you want to spend?
I have the studio 100's and am probably going with Bryston.
Classe also make good amps.They're both a bit pricey for me anyway, so i'll be looking for used amps.
Check out this site, they usually have Bryston amps for sale every week and it is Canadian.
www.canuckaudiomart.com

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Rotel make wonderful amps. I paired a Rotel RMB-1066(6x60...3x150) with my Paradigm Mini Monitors and have been very pleased with the sound it gives. I've e-mailed Rotel and according to their rep the specs for the 1066 are the same unbridged/bridged. Down the road I plan on adding another to power the rears. With its configuration abilities I'll be all set for 12.1 when it comes out.

Kevin

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
I heard NAD is now also Canadian owned. Personally I like the Rotel/Paradigm sound, but I've yet to see what an Anthem/Paradigm match sounds like. I'd be very curious because Anthem and Paradigm are owned by the same guys, infact, the two are even built in the same factory.

- Mike

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
For amps, there are Anthem and their more upmarket sibling Sonic Frontiers, Bryston and Classe Audio.
For speakers, there are PSB, Paradigm and Energy.

This from the top of my head, I'm sure there are others.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks