Amplify Direct TV Singnal Strength

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael De Costa, Jul 19, 2001.

1. Michael De Costa

Michael De Costa Stunt Coordinator

My question is if regular cable can use an amplifier, why can't satellite do the same? Can it? I am not expecting to pull in a better signal for my dish, but rather looking to amplify the picture when expanding the signal to fit on my 16x9 set. At the moment the picture looks a bit fuzzy and has artifacts. Is there any way to correct this? My signal strength is at 84% and I am told that's actually pretty good. I need help, anyone please!
    ------------------
    At my singnal, unleash HELL.......

2. Bob Jackson

Bob Jackson Stunt Coordinator

a) Once you get a steady lock you get all the signal there is. With Digital TV (with DirecTV is, but not ATSC HDTV/DTV) you get 100% of the picture or not with a steady signal.
    b) The signal strength is not really a signal strength - it is more of a how many errors are there in the signal meter. If you already have a good setup making the signal stronger won't help much, and with too much amplification it will lower your reported 'signal strength'. Long runs of cable (say greater than 100 feet) will attenuate the signal below the receivers threshold and amplifiers will help.
    c) Much of what you are seeing is most likly digital artifacts from too much compression. Do some channels look a lot better than others (esp the premiums and PPV channels)? They compress the stations to different levels. You can try changing the cable from the box to the TV and make sure you are using the best transport (S-Video is the best, then composite video over the RCA cables, then the COAX/RF output and CH3/4).
    d) If it is new maybe something in your box is going bad and switching it out will help. Go look at the displays at a local electronics store and a big TV using the same channels you watch and see how they compare.