Ampliflier

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lam, Mar 29, 2002.

1. David Lam

David Lam Auditioning

I have a Bryston 4B which I am very happy with. What concerns me is the humming noise I hear from it. Can any relate to this, and is there a way to get rid of this? I can also hear the humming on my Polk Audio speakers (2 fronts and 1 center channel).

2. Greg_W

Greg_W Stunt Coordinator

I believe the 4B has a ground lift switch on the back panel. Switching it may reduce the hum from your speakers, if it is due to a ground loop in your system. I'm not sure about the humming directly from the amp though.

Good luck.

Greg

3. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Unplug your cable/dss connection. If that eliminated the humming, get a ground loop isolator for the cable (cable company doesn't ground the cable properly 99.99% of the time).

4. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    David,

It seems to me that you are writing about two different hums.

One kind of hum or buzz is heard when you put your ears near the amplifier.That's a mechanical vibration caused by the 60Hz current flowing back and forth through the transformer. This causes vibrations in the laminations of the transformer of the power supply in the amplifier. Some of its clamps may be getting loose with age. If it's loud enough to bother you, you should consider contacting the manufacturer to get it fixed under warrantee.

The other kind of hum comes from the speakers. That's usually caused by grounding problems.

One frequent csuse of speaker hum is poor grounding of the cable TV (or satellite receiver) cable as already mentioned.

Another cause is the use of different outlets for different audio or video equipment. The ground potential at the different outlets will vary depending on how many other things are plugged into the same circuit. One way to avoid this problem is to plug everything into the same outlet: use power strips that have multiple sockets.

Another source of hum can be poor gound connectins in the interconnecting cables of your a/v system.

I hope this helps a little.