Amplifiers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by mark-h, Jan 14, 2004.

1. mark-h

mark-h Extra

Tell me about Parasound and Adcom. Are they good amplifiers?

Do you prefer one over the other?

Are the cost relative to the performance?

Thanks...

Mark

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I run 4 Adcom (GFA-535s) 2-channel amps in my rig. Three bi-amp the mains and center with the forth powering the surrounds. Out-the-door, each amp cost me $120 off ebay. I feel I got a great deal. All the amps look great and run beautifully. I've had them for about a year with no problems. I've not heard any Parasound amps to compare.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    They are both well-respected brands - you can’t go wrong with either.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. TimGRA

TimGRA Stunt Coordinator

I recently purchased a Parasound 2205. I wish I could say I have not had a problem but input 2 is being looked at as we speak. I can not speak highly enough about the great service Parasound has given. This amp is incredible even at half power. I only wanted to buy 1 to last many years. What is your price point? You really cant go wrong with either. LISTEN BEFORE YOU BUY. Trust your ears.

5. mark-h

mark-h Extra

The more information I get the better off I will be.

So maybe more information for y'all would help.

Front mains will be 4ohm, center and surround bipols 6ohm, and 8ohm for the rears with a self powered sub.

My price point for all 7 channels on my new system will be somewhere around $4K.

Choices I've thought about are a 5 channel and 2 channel or 3-2 channel or something of that order. I really don't want a 7 channel.

I've thought about used so I am watching the market there but I am leaning strongly towards new.

Currently I have enough information to narrow my choices down to the following 3 brands

Adcom
    Parasound
    Sunfire

There are more and if someone feels that another brand will give me the performance I want for the money I have to expend Please comment.

Wayne... I live north of Bear Creek park. My email is [email protected]. Email me sometime...

Mark

6. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

You can buy alot of amplification for 4k.
    You have listed some great choices, there are so many more that are worthy of an audition.
    $4000.00 is a lot of money to me so I would take time to hear everything I can.
    I personally am of the "buy it new" side of things. I wanna be the first one and the only one to use that amp I spent 4k on. I know where it's been, how it's been handled, etc...

I would like to add:
    Aragon
    B&K
    ATI
    Bryston
    Ayre
    Audio Refinement
    Rotel

Just take your time. It'll be worth it.
    Good luck!

7. mark-h

mark-h Extra

Ok... So far I am leaning to Parasound and Rotel.

They both seem like good value for the dollar and have plenty of positive reviews.

Any other suggestions? Any specific feedback on either brand in the 2 and 5 channel @ 200-400W models?

Mark