What's new

Amplifiers-vs-receivers? (1 Viewer)

Scott Pad

Agent
I need help...right now I have a Yamaha HTR-5490, but want to upgrade to a more powerful 2 channel receiver so i figured I'd head the way of an amplifier. I've been looking on ebay and see alot of amplifiers, but they are very old (around 1995-1998. Do ams tend to last while (I aminly have been looking at yamaha) I'm looking for something that'll put out 150w RMS. I'm also confused as to whether or not I need a pre-amplifier or whatever else I may need since I DO UNDERSTAND an amplifier doesn't have all components as a reciever. Also wondering if my Denon 280-M will work fine with an amplifier or if I need a new CD player..Please HELP!!!! Would like suggestions of other brands to look at as well...thanx

Yogi

Screenwriter
If your recv has preouts for the main L/R channels you can hookup an outboard amp. Amps will last a lifetime so you dont have to worry about them being used. As long as the seller has a good rating you can trust him to sell you a good piece in working order. Welcome to the world of separates.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
1) Yes, you would need a pre-amp. I don't think your receiver has the pre-outs for an external amp.
2) The CD player has nothing to do with the amp or pre-amp. Yours would be fine.
3) Generally speaking, amps don't fail that often and usually last a long time. I am currently using one built in 1975 and it works perfectly....1995-1998 are NOT considered old in the least.
What amps to look for depends on your budget, and since you'd need a pre-amp also you'd have to budget for that. You could also upgrade your receiver to one that had pre-outs which would allow you to add an external amp.
One amp that comes to mind in the 150wpc range is the Onkyo M-501 which can be found on ebay for under $150. I used to own one and they are very decent amps.

Scott Pad

Agent
If anyone knows...I'm thinking my receiver has preamps for the front two channels...can anyone confirm or deny that for me...thanx

RobWil

Supporting Actor
I don't think any of the 'HTR' series has pre-outs, except maybe for the sub.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Look and the back and see, it should be obvious, you'll see labeled RCA pre-outs for whatever channels if they are there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks