Amplifiers: Car Amps vs. HT Amps

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Ped, Sep 5, 2001.

1. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

Since you guys are always knowledgable about this stuff, here goes. I was going to build my own sub but I need an amplifier. The AVA250 is only 250 Watts, so since I work at Best Buy I went and looked at the car amps and I found the Rockford Fosgate Power bd1000.1 amp for 699.99 (employee priced at 360). This got me thinking.
    What I'm wondering is what is the big difference between car amps and HT amps?
    Can I use a car amp in the sub im going to build (using the Tempest driver)?
    How will I deal with the power conversion with a car amp if I use it?
    Thanx in advance!
    Mike

2. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

here are the specs for the amp just incase
    Per channel power 500 W X 1 @ 4 Ohms RMS @ 1% THD
    1000 W X 1 @ 2 Ohms RMS @ 1% THD
    Total power 500 Watts RMS
    Bridgeable
    Crossover HP 50-250Hz 24dB per Octave
    LP 50-250Hz 24dB per Octave
    Tone controls Bass Control
    0 to 18 dB @ 45 Hz
    Signal input Low level -
    Quantity - 2
    Type - RCA(pr)
    Line output 1 RCA(pr)
    AP
    Level - Fixed
    Phase control
    Power input Connector - Block
    Wire gauge - 4
    Speaker output
    Power supply topology MOSFET/Unregulated
    Output topology MOSFET
    Display Power -
    Position - End mounted
    Type - LED
    Heatsink Type -Cast
    Protection Thermal
    Short
    Overload
    Remote control Included
    Type - Wired
    Controls -
    Bass
    Class B/D
    Marine use
    Specifications
    Stereo/Mix mono
    Frequency response
    Dimensions

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The difference is that car amplifiers are rated for 4ohm speakers and home equipment is usually 8ohms. If the Tempest (never heard of it) is designed for home use, it will be 8 ohms and won't work well with the car amp.
    If you're going to spend $360 on an amp, why not just BUY A POWERED SUB?
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)
    [Edited last by John Garcia on September 05, 2001 at 10:22 AM]

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Mike,
    Since car amps operate at a low voltage, they need high current to deliver their rated power. What is the fuse rating for the Rockford? You will have to find a power supply that can deliver near this much amperage to insure the Rockford will deliver its maximum power rating.
    Anther situation is that most power supplies do not deliver clean DC power, and therefore can induce noise. Needless to say, Mike, I don’t think you’ll be finding a suitable power supply at Radio Shack for $39.95.
    You might have better luck posting this on one of the car audio forums. Despite the odds, there always seems to be someone there who claims he successfully did this for $60.
    An alternative: For less than the price of the Rockford and a decent power supply, you could pick up a used amp on e-bay, something like an Adcom GFA-555, that would be an excellent match for the Tempest.
    Good Luck,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    ------------------
    My Equipment List

5. Fletcher

Fletcher Extra

I am no amp expert but I would think if an amp is made to run with a 4 ohm load, then an 8 ohm load shouldn't be a problem. Can anyone confirm this??
    Also, I have a friend who is using his car subwoofer and amp for his home theater subwoofer. He simply got a spare computer power supply and hooked up a bunch of the various power wires to the amp power wires. Not sure how good this is but it works fine. I bet the quality of the power supply affects the quality of the overall sub though. Honestly, I don't think this is worth the mess though. You have a car amp with this ugly computer power supply hooked up next to it and all these wires sticked out everywhere. Why not just buy a good sub amp?
    I wouldn't pay such close attention to the wattage numbers. Just because a car amp advertises 500 watts doesn't mean its that much more powerful than a home audio amp that advertises 250 watts. Chances are the car amp is quoting specs for a 4Ohm load, etc. Who knows.
    Fletcher

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Mike,
    Since car amps operate at a low voltage, they need high current to deliver their rated power. What is the fuse rating for the Rockford? You will have to find a power supply that can deliver near this much amperage to insure the Rockford will deliver its maximum power rating.
    Anther situation is that most power supplies do not deliver clean DC power, and therefore can induce noise. Needless to say, Mike, I don’t think you’ll be finding a suitable power supply at Radio Shack for $39.95.
    You might have better luck posting this on one of the car audio forums. Despite the odds, there always seems to be someone there who claims he successfully did this for $60.
    An alternative: For less than the price of the Rockford and a decent power supply, you could pick up a used amp on e-bay, something like an Adcom GFA-555, that would be an excellent match for the Tempest.
    Good Luck,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    ------------------
    My Equipment List

7. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I wish they made HT amps with all the features of car amps. They would be perfect for the SVS cs line or any passive sub for that matter. Built in variable crossover, variable bass boost, some even have EQ's. I guess they are much like plate amps except a plate amp would look ugly in your HT equipment rack.

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Anthony is correct. You'd be much better off with a pro amp than a car audio amp. If I remember correctly, most of the high powered car amps use 30 amp fuses. Just for the heck of it I once looked for 12V power supplies rated at 30 amps continous. You're looking at spending at least another $100 just for the power supply.
    Trust me! Either just get the AVA250 or a pro amp with the Tempest.
    Brian
    ------------------

10. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Radio Shack's little 12 V power supply for running CB's and "car radios" is rated, if memory serves, for 3 amps. DC voltage supply is gonna cost you and whats the point? Buy an amplifier made for AC current.