What's new

Amplifier wiring kits? (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Are those kits that have all the necessary fuses and stuff to wire an amplifier worth it? I've seen a few of them online and I'm just wondering if they're decent? I wont need any long cable runs but I know I need to run an inline fuse for the amp so I know those kits include all the necessary items. I'm looking to run an aftermarket amp to some component speakers in my MR2 Spyder. I'll be using the stock HU for now so I will make my own connections between the HU and the amp but everything else I am going to need.

Any kits to recommend? I think my JL audio recommends a 40A glass fuse of some type..

Jay

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Hey Jay, just take a run into WalMart and grab the Scosche 4g kit. It's like 40 bones Canadian so it should be around 30 where you live.

Brent
I used it on my car, although the distribution block is small it will work for a couple of amps!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Thanks Brent.. After a couple google searchs, I now know what you're talking about... :) Seems like Scosche makes a gazillion little products, of which I could not find this 4G (which I now also know means 4-gauge) kit anywhere til I saw it on some retailer for US$31. OK, I'll have to go check out a Walmart/Target store after I take an inventory of what I need to do this.

Jay

Sean^M

Stunt Coordinator
www.knukonceptz.com
great products. $30 for a 4AWG amp wiring kit.
yes, the kit is well worth it if this is a one time deal for you with amp wiring.

if you're doing a more complex multi-amp system, and you know what you're doing, it can be easier to buy all the stuff piecemeal.. then you get disctribution blocks and such or different fuse blocks etc.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Wow, that is pretty inexpensive, when compared with other kits like the RF, Stinger, etc..

I may save the RCA cable for when I get a different HU, rather than butcher that one. The rest should be able to be cut to length by me when I get the stuff and I'm sure I'll have leftover wiring.

Jay

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I would just get the cheapest kit you can find(provided you have adequate size wire), and upgrade the RCA's to something like AR Pro series or something else of comparable quality.

Sean^M

Stunt Coordinator
AR's cables are made by Recoton, FYI.
the ones knukonceptz provies are pretty good for the low price. they use twisted pair for the interconnects. Nice design for noise rejection.
If you really want good cables for the car though, streetwirez has them.. but you'll pay for it.

Sean^M

Stunt Coordinator
I use AR Master's series cables for my sub at home. decent cables, but nothing like better products like Transparent. Point is though, that AR doesn't make cables for car audio. car audio cables need more shielding than home systems do since you're dealing with DC voltage power supplies and quite often, power and signal cables in close parallel proximity. You'll want to stick with well shielded, twisted-pair interconnects for car audio.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I agree that there's a higher chance of your cables picking up unwanted noise in a car but the AR Pro and Master series are well shielded twisted pair cables that I think would do just fine IMO.

Sean^M

Stunt Coordinator
the other rather minor advantage to cables built for car audio, is that most interconnects come with the remote trigger wire as well, so you don't need to run a separate line for that +12VDC trigger signal for amps and signal processors.
granted, not that big of a deal either way in the long run, but convenient anyway.

Jonty Rees

Stunt Coordinator
Another benefit to some of the car-specific cables is that they sometimes have really short RCA connectors, which makes it easier to fit them in behind HUs, etc. I used a Stinger multi-amp kit, 4g to 8g with distribution blocks off ebay for around $60. Makes it easy to get everything at once. My RCAs are Lightning Audio mid-level cables also off ebay - I like the 4-channel cable, and they work fine.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
FYI, I bought that $30 4-amp kit from knuconcepts, they seem to have the best prices for stuff and some web research seems like they're fairly respected.

Should arrive soon and my JLA stuff should also arrive shortly.

Got a lot of work to do to my MR2 Spyder over the xmas break. Got some suspension work to do and now I've got to install my stereo system...

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Wow, should arrive soon... It arrived today!

Looking at it, looks self explanatory, just one question, is that AGU fuse directional? It has arrows on the holder like it means something but I've never known a fuse to be directional...

Jay

Sean^M

Stunt Coordinator
actually the fuse itself is non-directional, but the fuse holder is.
one end lends itself to exposing the end when it's disconnected or open. that's the end you want by the amp, not the battery terminal :)
that way if it drops and hits metal, you don't get a short to ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks