Amplifier Specs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron E. Smith, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Aaron E. Smith

Aaron E. Smith Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the middle of rebuilding my home theater from the speakers inward. While I've been listening to speakers, I've been trying to assemble a large number of specs on amplifiers and I'd like to get some folks impressions on what stats mean what to them and which are most important. In other words, does the damping factor mean anything? How about the size of the toroidal transformer? etc.

I realize that listening to the amp is the ultimate test, but I doubt this will be possible in all cases (I'm considering some used Citations, so I doubt I'll get a chance to listen to them).

The speakers I'm currently considering are: Vandersteens, Magnepans, and Martin Logans. I'm looking at a 7.1 system, but I'm not sold on a 7 ch. amp that I can afford; I've been considering alot of 5 and 2 channel combinations.

Thanks for your help!

2. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

3. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

4. Aaron E. Smith

Thanks Gordon and John for the replies! I think this will likely answer all of my questions.

BTW, John, I read thru that discussion you were in over at AVS Forums and I was wondering what you ultimately did about your amp quandary? Any decisions?

Thanks!

5. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

aaron,

after some conversations with others that know far more than me, and after some consideration of my own, i am leaning toward the bryston 14b st's for amps - at 500wpc into 8ohms, and 800wpc into 4ohms, i think they'll drive aerial lr5's and cc5 beautifully.

ultimately, i have heard from too many knowledgeable people that speakers in general perform better if driven by amplification close to, if not actually a bit (just a bit, mind you) in excess of, their maximum rated wattage. so, the lr5's (4ohms, 86db) are rated at up to 500wpc, and can (or so michael kelly, president of aerial acoustics assures me) comfortably handle peaks of 1000wpc.

any purchase i make will, of course, be contingent upon some extensive auditioning of the brystons. but an initial listen has indicated that they are warm and gorgeously detailed.

- jd

6. Aaron E. Smith

Now that is some serious power! Unfortunately, that option is likely beyond my price range. I think that I'll start another thread to get some feedback on the combinations I am considering.

Thanks so much for your help!!!

7. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

no problem, aaron.
    i think it's technically beyond my price-range, too...
    let's hear it for deficit-spending [​IMG]
    - jd

8. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

Great post. Just the info I was looking for. Bump.