What's new

Amplifier + speakers not working (1 Viewer)

musicgold

Auditioning
Real Name
music
Hi,
I have an Electrohome amplifier with an output capacity of 100x2 Watts. I tried hooking to it two large Sharp speakers, but they didn't work.
On the amplifier, it says that it needs two speakers, eight ohms each ( A or B : 8 ohm each min. A+ B 16 ohm)
Then I tried a subwoofer (it says it is 12 ohm) and it worked fine. I have the following questions:
1. I am trying to figure why my sharp speakers are not working with this amp. As there is no impedance specifications on these speakers, I used my multimeter to measure the resistance between the two leads of one of the sharp speakers and it came out to be 5 ohm.
2. How do I figure what kind of speakers are best suited for this amplifier?
Thanks,
MG.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Impedance varies by frequency, so you can't measure it using a dc meter, you need to use an ac meter under load.
If the Sharp speakers are much less than 8ohms, the recevier might be shutting down. Also, you might want to check that the speakers are working at all - try them with another receiver that you know is working correctly (or quickly tap connect them to a 9v battery).
The subwoofer statement confuses me. What did you connect to the sub? If you connected the main L/R channels, then that tends to indicate the Sharp speakers just don't work.
Any 8ohm speaker will work with your receiver. The 16 ohm A+B spec was just a statement that the amps aren't independant, but it doesnt affect your speaker selection options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks