What's new

amplifier recommendations (1 Viewer)

Justin Brock

Auditioning
Can anyone recommend a moderately priced amp for my HT.I am just looking for 2 channel.What is the difference between bridgeable and not.Do u really need one.My receiver puts out about 100 watts at 6 ohms.Any info would help.Thanks...

David Judah

Screenwriter
You could probably find a good deal on a used amp. Try Audiogon.com. Some good inexpensive brands are Adcom, Parasound, NAD, Rotel, and of course, there are a host more.

Bridgeable means, the way it's commonly done, you can combine the two channels in one which increases output. It also has the effect of halving the impedance. I wouldn't worry about it though for speakers other than subs, since you would need two stereo amps to power your two main speakers.

As to whether you need a seperate amp or not depends on many factors including speaker sensitivity, room size, levels you want to hit, speaker impedance, etc... Considering that receivers typically have underpowered amp sections, especially as the impedance drops, it's often nice to have the extra power a dedicated amp can provide, but the extra power is not needed in all situations.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks