What's new

Amplifier or Receiver (1 Viewer)

jimmy225

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
I'm currently looking into upgrading my stereo from a self powered soundbar to a 5.1. I'm not sure whether to buy an amplifier or receiver? My loose understanding is an amplifier would provide power to the speakers whereas a receiver would also support video. My current TV isn't a 4k (and I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon) so I don't think I need a receiver though I still plan on playing the audio from the TV through the speakers. What is my best course of action? Thank you in advance.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
A receiver is comprised of a pre-amp, radio and amplifiers. It’s the pre-amp that various components connect to. It provides switching between the components, as well as tone controls (bass, treble), and digital processing such as DTS and Dolby Digital. These days, the pre-amp section would also handle video switching as well.

An amplifier is just that and nothing else, so that’s probably not what you need.

If you want 5.1, then you either want a receiver, or so-called “separates” that include two separate components: A pre-amp/processor, and a multi-channel amplifier.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I run a preamp and amp and love it, but, there are some things to consider.

Budget
What brand/model of speakers
How many speakers
How loud do you want to go

jimmy225

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
I was looking into the Polk RTiA series. 2 towers, 2 bookshelf, 1 center, and 1 or 2 subs. I don't want to spend more than I need to for a receiver seeing that the tv isn't 4k and by the time I upgrade it who knows what tech will be out and I'll probably need to upgrade the receiver anyway. My biggest concern is definitely power. I don't want to short change my speakers and not get the best sound out of them. Anyone have suggestions on which receiver to look at? I have been considering Onkyo but there are so many choices and I don't want to pay for something I don't need. Thanks again for all your help!

jimmy225

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
I was looking into the Polk RTiA series. 2 towers, 2 bookshelf, 1 center, and 1 or 2 subs. I don't want to spend more than I need to for a receiver seeing that the tv isn't 4k and by the time I upgrade it who knows what tech will be out and I'll probably need to upgrade the receiver anyway. My biggest concern is definitely power. I don't want to short change my speakers and not get the best sound out of them. Anyone have suggestions on which receiver to look at? I have been considering Onkyo but there are so many choices and I don't want to pay for something I don't need. Thanks again for all your help!
I also have a TT I'll need to hook up as well. I have a phono pre-amp for that though so a phono input won't be necessary.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
The polks need a little juice. The AVR's for this year from Yamaha and Denon/Marantz will have 4K, HLG, HDR and Dolby Vision, so you will be covered. If you get a high enough end AVR, you can use it as a preamp later.

I am using a Yamaha A3060 as the preamp, and an Outlaw 7140. Whole deal was $2700. I avoid Onkyo now because the auto eq system them use is not as good as other solutions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks