Amplifier Ohms

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by mark-h, Jan 20, 2004.

1. mark-h

mark-h Extra

If the specs on an amp say 200W @8 ohm and 330W @ 4ohm Does that mean that it will not do 6ohm or do they just not list it?

Mark

2. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Mark, the amp will do 8, 6, 4, and even 2 ohm...so you'll be just fine. I assume it's because your speakers you have or plan on getting are rated at 6 ohm right? Either case, no worries buddy! [​IMG]

3. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    I agree with Erik, except for the "2 Ohm" part. Just b/c an amp will perform just fine with a 4 ohm load doesn't mean it will run at ALL with a 2 ohm load. The amp has to specifically be rated to run at a 2 ohm load, else you risk frying it and anything connected to it.

That said, any amp rated down to a 4 ohm load will have an easy time driving a 6 ohm load.

AFA what kind of wattage you'd be getting...I would opine and say somewhere smack b/t 200 & 330. [​IMG]

4. mark-h

mark-h Extra

Thanks.

The amp is a Rotel RMB 1095.
    I might be buying the amp to drive front(400W), surround sides(400W), and rear speakers(175W). I will probably get the 2 channel for the fronts(400W).

I am also looking at the Parasound and Sunfire.

Mark

5. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

LOL...it might do 2ohm but I should have said "maybe!" [​IMG] I said "even 2 ohm" meaning it "might" be ok rated that low...thanks for making that clarification Michael! [​IMG] I meant well, but my fingers typed the wrong words! :b

6. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

If you get the Sunfire, it can handle a two ohm load on a time limited basis. [​IMG]

DJ

7. marc_manny

marc_manny Stunt Coordinator

Can the Denon 3803 handle a 4 ohm load?

Marc

8. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

If it lists a rating for a 4 ohm load it will handle a 6 ohm load no problem. For that matter most amps / receivers will handle a 6 ohm load. More and more are being able to handle a 4 ohm load.

9. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike

Don't know about that. I know it's rated for 6-ohm speakers.

Possibly if had say, just the main L/R that were 4 ohm, then the rest 8 or 6 ohms, maybe. But "maybe" isn't a definitive answer. [​IMG]

Bump for you.