Amplifier input sensitivity?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kevin C Brown, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I don't 100% understand this parameter. Something to the effect of the input voltage (from the pre/pro) to get full power from the amp.

??

OK, and then say I have 2 amps, 1 a 2 channel, and 1 a 5 channel, and will I have any problems if there input sensitivities are different? (2 ch is 1.1V, 5 ch is 1.5V)

I'm guessing any problems would be say for level matching at different volumes.

(I have this setup now, but haven't tested it yet.)

Thanks!

2. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Yes that's it,if you set it to say 2V,that's all it needs to put out it's rated output.However the more voltage[clean unclipped]you can give to the amp,the "less harder it needs to work" to achive it's full output.The best example for this that you can find is in car audio,check out how some manufacturers brag about their CD deck's pre amp outputs,some are rated to 4-5V.

3. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Adding to what Lewis said, here are some mfg specs (not indepedent lab measurements) for their maximum output:

- some receivers' preouts (~1V RCA)
    - some highend, megabuck 2 channel preamps (30+ V XLR)
    - Parasound Halo C1/C2 prepros (8V RCA, 16V XLR)
    - Aragon 2 channel preamps (8V RCA, 16V XLR)
    - Aragon Soundstage & Stage One prepros (7V RCA, 14V XLR)
    - Integra Research RDC7 prepro (5-6V RCA)

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

OK, I have to think about that some. (That means that 1.5V is preferred to 1.1V?)

Separate but the same? The 2nd version of the Outlaw 950 had the hiss problem, right? The Acurus amps I have really highlighted that problem. I think the input sensitivity is around 1.5V, which seems to be on the high end for amps.

??