What's new

Amplifier for Zone 2?? (1 Viewer)

Steve_W

Agent
Please help this newbie...

I have an Onkyo 898 which has Zone 2 capability. I only have a 5.1 setup in my living room, with no rear surrounds.

What I am trying to accomplish is to setup a system that will allow me to have music on both my den and back deck while still using the main 5.1 system in the living room.

Here is what I am hoping to do:

1)Add speakers and an IR repeater in the den for Zone 2 #1

2)Add speakers and an IR repeater in the den for Zone 2 #2

3)Be able to switch between the 2 sets of speakers with some type of switch.

4)Control volume of the main system and Zone 2 separately.

My questions:

1)Does a switch exist that can take 2 sets of speaker wire and A/B between them??

2)Do I need a separate amplifier, seeing that the 898 has 7 channel capability and I will be using 5 channels on the main system, and then an additional 2 channels with either the deck or den speakers being powered??

Thanks!!

Steve

Steve Daniels

Stunt Coordinator
My questions:
1)Does a switch exist that can take 2 sets of speaker wire and A/B between them??
2)Do I need a separate amplifier, seeing that the 898 has 7 channel capability and I will be using 5 channels on the main system, and then an additional 2 channels with either the deck or den speakers being powered??
1) Yes. Radio Shack makes a couple of these, as do other companies. E.g., Adcom at least used to, not sure if they still do.
2) I think so. It depends on your receiver. Here's a thread that isn't exactly about the same situation, but some people thought it was, and therefore might have decent info for you. Note that nobody mentions Onkyo as having rear amps that can be re-assigned to Zone 2. Some Denons will do this, however.
Depending on how much power and quality you're looking for, I'd recommend you check out Audiosource amplifiers. Some of their stereo amps have both speaker A and speaker B capabilities, as well as front-panel level controls. I'm using an Audiosource Amp One (not to be confused with the Amp One A, which has no A/B capability, or headphone jack, or meters...) for my second zone.
More info here: Link Removed
FYI, the Amp Two is available for $250 at J&R.
Of course, if it turns out that your receiver has switchable rear amps, you can ignore everything I said from #2 down.

Steve_W

Agent
Thanks Steve,

It is good to know there are quality amps that can be had for that little. If my 898 is not capable of a powered zone 2 while driving my main 5.1 with the other channels, at least I can get an amp for a reasonable price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks