What's new

Amplifier for a subwoofer ? (1 Viewer)

Hello from France.
Looking for a subwoofer, i'm considering buying an SVS one due to many positive reviews in this forum.
I have a Denon 3300 as A/V amplifier.
Do i need an amp for the subwoofer ?
Should i consider a subfoower with it's own amp, or is it better to buy one separatly ?
My room is 20x13 ( foot )
Thanks

BryanZ

Screenwriter
1. Yes. The sub needs something to power it with, be it an internal amplifier or an external one.
2. Personal preference here. The advantage to an external one is that you get a little more boom and can swap out the amp if you want to. The advantage to an internal one is it will have phase control, crossover, and is plug and play for the most part.
As you are in France, you may want to look at a Paradigm PW-2200 or something local. The reason is the cost of shipping will be much higher and you will also have to pay customs. For your size room, you may want to consider dual subs or a single CS-Ultra (provided that you go with a SVS). Good luck!

Steve_D

Second Unit
Bryan,
Assuming 8 foot ceilings, that's only 2000 cu ft. Why 2 subs "for your size room"?
------------------
Link Removed

Michael_Shea

Auditioning
Maybe I misunderstood the question....are you asking if you need an amp for the sub because you think the 3300 cant do it? If so, not true. I have the 3300 running my paradigm amp with the sub pre-out.
Just wasnt sure if you were asking the question because you didnt think the 3300 could drive the sub.
-mj

I was wondering if the 3300 could drive a subwoofer without any other amp ( internal to the subwoofer, or external ) ?
I asked SVS if they have retailers in Europe.
Waiting for their answer.
------------------

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Thierry, SVS only sell direct via their web site as far as I know.
And no, your Denon probably can't drive the SVS and the rest of your gear as well. You'd need another amp that you would then connect to the sub out on the Denon.
I'm still waiting for word myself as to whether or not I managed to buy a Paradigm Servo 15 I made an offer on, but the silence seemse ominous to me. Thus, I'm now strongly considering other options and not even the $250 of shipping to Finland seems like that huge an obstacle to getting an SVS.
wink.gif

My first thought was to go with a CS-model, ie an amplifierless one, but even though the cost for the sub itself will be lower, I'd still need to find a suitable amp locally. The PC-models already have a pretty good amp built in (german-made, I believe) and are pretty much plug and play, as Bryan points out - just need the cable from the Denon and you're good to go.
The PC models seem to perform pretty close to the CS ones, at least if you look at the reviews on AudioReview.com - all of them are glowing, and I think there was 30 or so of them.
So, if I don't get that Servo 15, I may just throw all caution to the wind and get myself an SVS PC model. Less hassles that way having to find a suitable amp locally, at a decent price.
------------------
/Kimmo

BryanZ

Screenwriter
While you are correct there, you also need to account for any openings, i.e. connecting rooms, hallways, etc. If there are no openings, a single 16-46 or 20-39 should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks