Amplifier envy...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chuck Bogie, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

Was at a friend's place last night... He doesn't have the optimal speaker setup, but he's got the power... Three phase linear 400s, and two phase linear 700s... Talk about headroom...

So, here's the quandary... I'm getting ready to do a basement theater, and I've decided to more or less do it right... So... I'm torn... Do I buy a half a dozen of those little Outlaw amps, or several "antique" Phase Linears, which will cause _serious_ damage if one drops one on one's foot...

2. Luitz

Luitz Stunt Coordinator

Do the Outlaw thing. Its new and wont break your back or foot

3. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

LOL - that "little" Outlaw amp will still break a foot if its dropped onto one. That "little" thing is still 20lbs.[​IMG]

4. John S

John S Producer

Do you really just love that Phase Linears sound?

The Outlaw stuff while it may nearly equal the fidelity, does sound significantly different.

I am sure either would curl your toes on movies though.. lol

5. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Which sounds better to you and what would the price difference be? Those old PL amps are great performers and unlike digital electronics, amps don't become obsolete after 1 or 2 years. Some of the most sought after items on Audiogon are older Bryston amps, because they still sound great and work fine.

There is some risk to buying older amps, very few will come with a warranty. But except for the power switch and perhaps a protection relay, most amps don't have any moving parts. And solid state devices generally either burn out very early or last a very long time. Of course, this assumes the amp hasn't been abused, however, that's part of the risk/reward scenario of buying used. But if an amp has a sound quality you like and is in the price range you can afford, buying used is a great way of making a serious step up in quality without drastically increasing your budget.

6. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'd get the outlaw, they make a pretty good amp (a friend has the 750) and for the price, warrantee, and philosophy (I'm assuming you're referring to buying the monoblocks) should easily produce an outstanding theater performance.

Other amps to consider Audiosource, Adcom, Nad, Ati, Marrantz, and Denon on the used market. If the amps could be located in another room, then maybe a few pro amps might be considered.