Amplifier Connection

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chris Yasick, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Chris Yasick

Chris Yasick Auditioning

I'm new here, but I've seen some fantastic help, so hopefully I can solve this problem. I have a Denon AVR-1602, and have the L/R outputs going to my two old passive subs, and my front speakers connected to those. I have an Onkyo M282 amplifier, and can connect the subs to the inputs, but I am wondering how to connect the outputs to my receiver. My Denon has ext. in inputs, but when I used them no sound came out of the subs/fronts. Can anyone help? I am hoping to use the amp to boost the power since 2 speakers share the same connection.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You cannot feed power back to your receiver, period. It would be a bad thing.

You can use the external amp to drive the subs and mains OR, you can use the external amp to drive the subs, fed by the sub pre-out of your receiver and drive your mains straight from the receiver.

3. Chris Yasick

Chris Yasick Auditioning

My subs are NHT SW2 subs from '93, and they only connect with speaker wire. There isn't any way I can connect my amp to my subs?

4. John Garcia

John
    As I said in my previous post, you CAN use the amp to drive your subs, and this MUST be done with speaker wire for you to get any power out of the amp in this case. An option to running the main R&L outputs to the amp would be to use the sub preamp out from your receiver to this amp with a Y splitter. Then you will be feeding the subs with only bass information, based on your receiver's x-over, the same way an active sub would be connected. This will allow the amp to work a bit more efficiently, since it won't be trying to reproduce all frequencies.

You then have your choice of running your main speakers from the speaker level outputs from the subs, if you run full range signal to the Onkyo (R&L). This leaves you at the mercy of the sub's x-over, which may or may not give you a good blend with your speakers. The blend will be fine, but if the x-over point is not adjustable, it may not be the best for your needs.

OR run the mains directly from your receiver and run the Onkyo from the sub pre-out as noted above. This will effectively give you more power, along the lines of what you were thinking, but there will be more demand on the receiver this way. I still think this will give you the best results, but you'll have to try it out for yourself. What are the main speakers?

5. Chris Yasick

Chris Yasick Auditioning

Thanks a lot for your help. I don't think I was reading your first reply deeply enough. I understand what you are saying now. The main speakers are NHT Model 1.1C's, again from '93. We moved into a house with the speakers but not the receiver. He had built the theater, but it is definately aging. Sometime it'll be time to start over.

6. Chris Yasick

Chris Yasick Auditioning

Can you point me in the direction of a "y" splitter? There are many types and I don't know which one to buy.
    Also, will this improve the bass I get, since it is connected by the sub out, in DD?

7. John Garcia

John
    Radio Shack variety should work fine for the Y splitter. You need a single male to dual female.

You likely won't have much more bass one way or the other. Where are the subs located? Are they on separate sides of the room or are they stacked in a corner together? (preferable). I am not familiar with these speakers' size/shape or your room, so I don't know if what is and isn't possible.

8. Chris Yasick

Chris Yasick Auditioning

The subs are put on either side of the tv so they can balance the sound.

One question, female plugs will connect with audio in jacks? Go to Onkyo's website and check out the rear picture of the amp. Will females connect with that?

Thanks again for your really helpful continued advice.

9. John Garcia

John
    The subs being on either side of the TV may actually cause cancellation rather than ballance the sound. You'll have to experiment with location, but in a corner is generally the best location for a single sub. With two it can get tricky, so I recommend trying them together, in the same corner.

The Y is just to get you one connection for each sub, you will still need to have a normal stereo interconect to go between the female end of the Y to the R&L inputs on the amp. In this configuration, both subs will be getting the same signal, each from one channel of the amp.

10. Chris Yasick

Chris Yasick Auditioning

I see the light! Thanks for your help, John. I'll get this set up and I'll see what is the best position.