Amplification decision...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ericanthonE, May 15, 2004.

1. ericanthonE

ericanthonE Stunt Coordinator

Hi, i am having a hard time deciding on the right amplification for my new def. tech speakers

I had an NAD T773 which sounded fantastic but had DSP hiss issue, so i took it back.

I ordered an Rotel RSX-1067 but was worried if it would be enough receiver to power and give my speakers justice.

I was now looking at the sunfire ultimate receiver, is this any good? I hear either really good or really bad things about it, which does not really help me.

I really don't want to spend more than 4grand on amplification, so do you have any ideas?

I would rather just get the sunfire ultimate and not have to deal with separates and buying interconnects, etc, but i have not heard it, nor would i probably be abled to.

Well, thanks.Eric

2. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

At $4K....I would look at seperates.

Is the reason you want a receiver only for convenience?

There are some excellent pre/pro and amplifier combinations for less than $3K.

Sherwood/Newcastle
    Rotel
    B&K
    NAD

Just to name a few.

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Did you try out the Rotel with your speakers? Did it seem to lack juice? I agree with Curtis, that, at that budget, you should definitely consider separates or possibly adding a power amp to a receiver.

4. ericanthonE

sherwood separates are only 100 watts per channel. I'm sure that it sounds very nice though, but i was looking for some more power. I don't trust NAD because of hiss. I have never heard the T163 personally though.

Rotel is going to be above 4 grand for seperates of ample power? I like the rotel amplifiers, the next to the top of line. a grand each. but, i would like to get a low cost processor that would include a tuner with it. The T163 stands in mind, and the sound is don't get me wrong FANTASTIC, but it has an apparent hiss to it, which i don't like

5. ericanthonE

because i had the T773. I also have to power 7 speakers, which makes things a little bit more difficult

6. ericanthonE

maybe i could use the P-965 with rotel amplifiers. Do you think that would be good? you can email me privately if your worried about saying the wrong thing. Does the Sherwood Newcastle have any known quirks? Would it sound as nice as the NAD? Or nicer? Worse? I unfortunately would not be able to audition these, as it makes it harder to get a good price after you are already in the store. I usually just call the dealer up and tell him what i can pay and then i will call him back after he has figured out what he could do. Worked out well when ordering the Def Tech's

7. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

You can also mix and match pre/pro and amp brands, and still have great if not better results.

I use the Sherwood/Newcastle P-965 with an ATI AT1505 (150x5) amp.

What speakers are going to be using with the setup?

8. ericanthonE

BP7002's
    BPX surrounds
    CLR 2500

All Def tech, 4 surrounds. Built in subwoofers

How do you like that P-965? Is there any hiss that you get out of it, and especially in the DSP modes? I really like the price, and from what i have heard on here, they sound absolutely fantastic(a receiver i guess)

9. ericanthonE

10. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

I like it a lot. I had been looking for a pre/pro for a long time...at street price, I think it has a lot going for it.

It has a great feature set. Very quiet...no hiss that I can detect. Sounds great too.

11. ericanthonE

yeah, i am in the same boat it seems with the pre/pro situation. For there is a more limited pick without going crazy with price. I think that the amplification is a much easier decision! A lot of people say that amplification does not really make a difference, and i must say that for 2ch it is like night/day for me the difference.

I had that T773, and absolutely loved the sound, but it has hiss issues, popped between tracks, and picked up radio stations in the BPX surrounds. And i posted it on here, and they convinced me it was not normal behavior. I am just a little baby when it comes to audio, so little help here and there/adjustments go a long way on here.

12. ericanthonE

I also had an Onkyo 801 whatever for a few weeks. I liked it for it's efficency(no hiss,NONE), great/fine for movies, but just seemed to again be not nearly as musical when it came to music as the NAD was.

13. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

What about the Outlaw? 200x7 and 950 processor? Only $2600.00 ?

14. ericanthonE

i think that it is pretty nice! I have no idea what it would sound like though, or what the reviews are like. It's pretty popular on here isn't it?

15. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

I'm not sure as I have never heard them. I would also like to know.

16. ericanthonE

well i bought this for 1100 dollars shipped! He did not even fill out the warranty cards yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

So it is onto the amplification. I have been strongly considering the rotel RMB-1075,RB1080 amps for a long time.

17. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

18. ericanthonE

internal amp. it was the T773 110 watts X 7

19. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

20. ericanthonE

i don't understand really what you mean?