Amplfiers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Hardy Jr., Oct 10, 2002.

1. David Hardy Jr.

Please diret me, if there is one to the prime/faq that has to do with the purpose of the amplifier as it relates to audio systems. If not then my question is what is the purpose for the amplifier?

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

An amplifier amplifies. [​IMG]
    This question comes up often (as it might in your case) because of a confusion of what the purpose of an amplifier would be if you own a receiver. People who own a receiver already achieve everything they want to do- so they wonder why they would need an amplifier...
    In actuality, a receiver is really a few devices rolled into one package: usually it serves the purpose that three individual units could also serve: Pre-Amp/Processor, Amplifier and tuner.
    The preamp/Processor stage basically serves as a routing device for audio signals (and on modern receivers video signals). It adjusts volume overall, adjusts levels between different speaker sends, offers treble and bass controls, etc. In the modern receivers- this portion also processes- it converts the digital feeds like DD and DTS signals to multiple analog audio streams.
    Then, once all the processing and adjustment is complete- this preamp stage passes it to the amplifier stage- which converts the low level voltage outputs coming from the preamp device to HIGHER LEVEL signal able to drive speakers. The amplifier takes the simple line level signal and AMPLIFIES it into a signal able to drive the speakers.
    In HT- some people use amplifiers to compliment their receivers. Some receivers offer preamp outputs (signal coming off the preamp before it's sent to internal amps) which allow you to wire in your own amplifier. The appeal of this is often additional power, better quality amplifier, or simply raw curiosity.
    In addition- some companies manufacture and sell PREAMP devices. These are just like receivers, only they have no amplifier component built in. These MUST be coupled with an AMPLIFER (or several) in order to work with speakers. The preamp devices does all the signal routing and adjustment (and decoding of digital info) and then simply passes it along to an outboard amplifier which AMPLIFIES the signal to the level used for driving speakers.
    Hope that helps.
    -Vince
    PS: A much shorter (but certainly more succinct) version of what I posted does appear in the FAQ and PRIMER (Amplifiers and Preamps by Cees):
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...282#post512282

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
  4. David Hardy Jr.

I appreciate that information. I think I'm going to add one. Any recommendations?

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

How much money you got?