Amping my subwoofer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Ward, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I am considering amp options for my Tempest DIY sub. I was going to buy a normal amp and power the sub, but most people recommended a dedicated sub amp with a rumble filter.
    But I just found something that may change that. Is their any reason that I couldn't add one of these between the sub out and the line level inputs of a standard stereo amp?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    You could certainly use these, if you can get them at a low enough frequency to act as a rumble filter – around 20Hz.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Justin Ward

They come in pairs, if I put them both into one line would it double the effect?

4. Jonathan M

Jonathan M Second Unit

I would presume that these are just a passive 2nd order crossover - thus they may alter with altering impedances at the input and output. If placed between a pre-amp and amp, the input impedance of the amplifier will effect the cut-off frequency. If this is the case, doubling them up may produce unacceptable results (one filter may be shifted quite a bit) I'd definitely contact PE (or the manufacturer) and see if they can give you an answer. If they do double up without altering their individual responses, then you'd be 6dB down instead of 3dB down at the 20Hz - then the rolloff would be 24dB per octave (instead of 12dB)

I'd suggest that one would be enough - most plate amps only have a 2nd order rumble filter (some only a first order)

5. Justin Ward

Is 12dB/octave the same as a second order? If so, this would work well as a rumble filter right?

6. Jonathan M

Jonathan M Second Unit

Yep, 12dB per octave is second order. It'll work as a rumble filter just fine (Between the receiver and the amp for the sub)