Amped sounds horrid!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave F, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I picked up Amped today & I've been giving it a run through for about 2 hours. The game itself is pretty good so far - it's definitely a much different game than SSX. Much less of an arcade-y type game. Hopefully this will pan out to some deep gameplay.
    That said, the sound sucks. [​IMG] The songs are so heavily compressed that I went searching through the menus multiple times to see if I had something set incorrectly. Some sound ok, but others sound like crap. Also, I was hoping that the game would display the song info when a new track starts, similar to Wip3out, but no such luck. With a 150 songs (no wonder they are so compressed!), song info would be a very nice amenity. As it is, you have to pause the game & go to the music menu to see the track. Ripped soundtracks sound just spiffy though.
    This may turn out to be a great game, but right now its a renter...
    Has anyone tried Dark Summit?
    -Dave

2. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

That's unfortunate. You would have thought they would have used MP3s. I wonder what compression scheme they used?

3. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Is it a renter just because of the sound? How do the graphics and gameplay compare to SSX (Tricky)? Thanks!

4. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

If you can use your own songs that you've ripped to the hard drive, who cares what the ingame music is anyways(just play your own soundtracks). I'm sure you'd much rather prefer your own selection of music.

So, if the actual game appeals to you, buy it and rip your own soundtracks, and don't bother thinking about how badly compressed some of the ingame music is.

Andrew

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I'm sure that they are WMA (Windows Media Audio) files. WMA, like MP3, can sound great if properly compressed. But not here, folks. I was looking forward to the soundtrack - its a good way to hear music that you wouldn't otherwise hear. I have already found one band on the game that I will seek out & probably get the album. Heh, maybe I'll rip the disc for my own soundtrack [​IMG]
    The gameplay is so different from SSX that they can't really be compared. That's not saying that one is superior to the other - just that they are very different. So far I'd say that Amped is an 'okay' game, but it has the potential to grow on me. If I could stop playing GTA3, that is. [​IMG]
    -Dave

6. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Would you say it plays more like Tony Hawk? Do you think it's funner or less fun than SSX?
    I'm very interested in this game! Sorry for badgering you! Thanks for your answers! [​IMG]

7. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I'd say it's less fun than SSX, but I'd say that about 99.99% of the games I've played - I really liked SSX. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    It reminds me a lot of the Untracked level in SSX, in the way that each level feels really "open". Gameplay is structured like Tony Hawk, in that you have a bunch of goals for each level & there really is no racing like SSX.
    BTW: I was also excited about the graphics, but they are somewhat of a letdown - nowhere near the quality of the screenshots. Still nice, just not as über-cool.
    I'm not too sure how I rank the game at this point...
    -Dave

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

9. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Brian haven't seen you around lately I thought you died.

10. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

11. Ed Brunelle

Ed Brunelle Extra

I am a big SSX Fan...

Still getting use to Tricky...

Tried Amped & Dark Summit - returned them. Guess I am stuck with an opinion as follows..

Snow - SSX or Tricky

Skate - Tony Hawk

Just my opinion...