Amped 2 - HTF League?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Tyler DJW, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Tyler DJW

Tyler DJW Stunt Coordinator

Looking over all the forums out there it seems I may be the only one dying to play Amped 2! I can't wait, personally. I'm looking forward to it being Live enabled and thought I'd test the waters here at Home Theater Forum to see if there is interest in starting an XSN sports league when the game comes out.

I'd like to have a few HTF tournaments. Please let me know if you're interested and I'll try to set it up soon after it's launched.
    [c]Gamertag: MumbleyJoe[/c]

2. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Second Unit

I will also have this game next week. If anyone is starting a league than sign me up.

-Mike

3. Tyler DJW

A fellow Canadian! I think you have to log in to XSNSports.com and as soon as it's up and running for AMPED2 I'll start putting a tournament together. I'd like to get 8 people (or more) from HTF to get things underway, hopefully there will be some interest...

4. Tyler DJW

Well, here's my quick review after an evening of play... if anyone's interested. I'm still hoping to start a league on XSN SPorts just because I can so let me know if you're interested. Michael, glad to see you online last night, hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

-Cut and Paste from my post on XBOX forums-

Amped 2
    If you liked the first you'll love this. The only thing that's giving me trouble is the change in rail controls. It's probably fine for someone new to the game, but for Amped fans it means unlearning what you already know. It's really too bad too because it took me forever to not faceplant off a rail on the first Amped.

Online play is a lot of fun, I just did Free ride where everyone rides the same mountain, but different runs, for a fixed amount of time. The highest run score, media score, biggest trick, and biggest combo are all ranked and used to give each player an overall rank. It's a lot of fun.

Some of the improvements I noticed immediately were in the character models... the physics look improved and there's a lot more character customization, most of it rediculous but still fun. There's really a whole new bag o' tricks when it comes to the rails, but with the change in controls I couldn't really tell you much about them... I'm still struggling.

The Mountains a beautiful, and definately improved over the first. They're rendered more beleivably, and there's a lot greater detail (things like all the small branches still attached to the logs... nice touch). The lightly effects are awesome. You can manage to do the same runs in daylight on career mode and then race it at night Online... very cool.

Butter... the jury's out. I think I'll like it once I get the hang of it, but so far I haven't used it to my advantage yet. My girlfriend kept starting it without noticing and then faceplanting by mistake so watch out for it.

The style points I've really liked, and they help me keep a #1 (most of the time) online. Since nobody online had had much of a chance to develop their character skills, everyone sort of sucked. When you first start off you can't often do even a double flip so slow it down, do a single, and land it perfectly.... big points. It's a whole new element that will also take some time to master, but is already part of the routine for me.

What else, the Tuturials will be essential for me to figure out jibs, butters, and style. I spent a little time on them all but bailed on the butter tutorial. It's a good idea though for getting used to the new controls.

Also, in career mode there are still high score, media, and sponsor runs (oh, and pro). But now there are also Photoshoot challenges in which you have to follow a very specific course passing through large rings to mark you path and acheive a certain score. For example, you might start a photoshoot having to pass through 10 rings which will direct you off a jump onto a jib and down with a minimum 2500 points. If you miss a ring (go off course) or score low, you don't pass the challenge.

Also interesting, after the second mountain I didn't immediately open a third, I opened an "Event". This was basically 3 round competition similar to the free ride online game descrived about. You have to rank 1st after 3 rounds to advance. This was a nice change in overall gameplay.

The only things I really don't like is that I screwed up my new character's stance and now all of the grabs are backwards. Method is my favorite grab on Amped and now I'll never get it so I think I need to start a new Career mode... choose wisely at the beginning!!!

Thanks it... go out, get it, enjoy. See you online.

5. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

Are there any racing events in this game, or are they all trick based? Thanks,

Pieter

6. Tyler DJW

No Racing events, it's really freestyle based competition. It has a nice laid-back feel online too because you have the freedom to trick anywhere at any speed... you're only competing for points. It's a nice LIVE alternative to FPS and Racing games.

7. Colson

Colson Auditioning

Tyler are you still playing Amped 2?

8. Tyler DJW

I'm still playing Amped 2, but haven't played as often (PGR2 pulled me in).

Anyways, I thought I'd share that Downloadable Content has just been released (Mar 24, 04). I haven't downloaded it yet, but I'm sure it will be great.

This will be a good excuse to take it off the shelf again and get online with it too.