What's new

AMP350, AVA250, PE250 plate amp differences (1 Viewer)

Cam S

Screenwriter
Also Steve, where the heck would I get one of those amps?? I can't find them anywhere on the net??

SteveF

Grip
I would mail the folks at SVS and see if they can confirm they have the Detonation 110 MkII, and whether they will sell it to you. Their page seems to indicate that they primarily sell these parts to SVS customers "unless prior arrangements were made with [their] staff." They might be able to give you a line on an American distributer. This link should give you all the information you need. The specs on it are quite good, and I would say that the power rating is quite conservative.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I don't think there is an American distributor for them any more. I believe SVS has to have them imported from Germany.

Brian

Paul_C

Stunt Coordinator
Steve;
Brian is right. The detonator amps are no longer for sale. The only distributor closed his doors last year. I believe SVS has now changed amplifier's.
The detonator was rated at 150 watts but was more like 180. This was said by Tom V. in an older post.
Cam;
Adire has added a rumble filter to their amp. I don't think the other amp's have this included. Check out the Adire website for more info on this filter.
Yes, my sub is collecting dust until Nov or Dec when we move into our new home. Is it for sale, maybe. :D
On the other hand,
I would be more than happy to help you build one. They really aren't that hard, just time consuming. The hardest part is the design and there are lot's of experts around here that will help in that regard. The only power tool you really need is a router to cut the end caps for the tube. A jigsaw would also help but isn't required.
Bryan;
Keep in mind that a 15" driver in an 18" tube is not going to leave you much room for feet or the input cup. You will also have to put your port (assuming you want one) on the top plate. I would consider going to a 20" or 22" diameter tube. If you can't then consider the Shiva driver instead. I have a Shiva in the 18" tube (port is on top) and it works very well.
Paul.

Mike_A

Stunt Coordinator
paul - i do think the PE amps have a rumble filter. i'm fairly sure they're identical to the corresponding adire models.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Paul:
Building the SonoSub shouldn't be too difficult. My best friend has a router (with circle jig), table saw and everything else I need so I should be set. I just recently built some bookshelve speakers using a pair of old Phoenix Gold 6.5" mids and a pair of Kicker 4" coax speakers. the box turned out better than I expected, so I'm pumped about building a sonosub.
However, if I could find one, pre-built, then I might go for that. You made the sub out of the subwoofer I want, all I would need is an amp.
E-mail me at [email protected] if you are interested in selling.
PS, thanks for the offer on helping me out with the buildup, I'll probably ask you a few questions (ok maybe lots) during the buildup, if and when that happens.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Hey guys, if I were to get a QSC RMX850, would I need an outboard EQ?? Or will the filter built into the LFE output of my Tehcnics DA-10 be enough??? More power the better right??

Paul_C

Stunt Coordinator
Mike;
I thought I saw Dan W. talk about the SURF filter somewhere. I thought he indicated that they did the mod themselves. I will try and find the thread for ya. I know that the amps have a high/low pass filter but I think this SURF acts a little different. Of course, I am not an expert on this so maybe someone with a little more experience with the amps in question can fill us in. Dan Wiggins, are you out there?
Cam;
YGM.
I am not sure if this is what you are looking for but EQ's are used to tame room spikes. They can't do much for nulls.
I am not sure what filter you are talking about in your receiver. Do you mean the crossover? If so, the crossover in your receiver should be set to 80 hz if you can. This is a general rule of thumb. Most people say that anything below 80hz is non-directional, in other words, you can't hear where the sound is coming from. This allows you to position the sub better. Depending on the sub amp you get will also determine whether you have a crossover there as well. If you don't have one in your amplifier the one in the receiver should do the job just fine unless it only goes to 100-120 hz.
I hope someone corrects me here if I get it wrong. :D
More power gives you headroom. It won't neccessarily give you more volume. You need to double your power to get 3db more. Most people only hear a difference in volume when you have an increase of 10db. For exmple: If you go from 250w to 350w you probably won't hear much more but your amp will have more headroom to play those really low notes.
Good luck
Paul.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Paul:

Sorry, I wasn't too clear on what i was taling about regarding my amp. I was referring to the 80hz crossover that is built into the sub out on my Technics amp. I wasn't too sure if I could just hook up a pro audio amp to that subout on the amp and while having the sub only play below 80hz. I guess this is what most poeple are doing when they buy the CS/Samson combo's from SVS, am I right?

I know Axe Music in Kelowna carries a fair amount of pro audio amps such as the Crown, EV, Peavey, Yamaha, QSC, as well as a few others. I should phone them to ask about prives, and used amps.

But I think the PE250 amp would be the bes deal for me, though this shipping stuff from the states kinda scares me, ah well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks