AMP350, AVA250, PE250 plate amp differences

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cam S, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I've been looking at these amps for my first Sonosub project, however, all three look identical, yet the power is different, and the price for the AMP350 is much higher.

AVA250 = 250w @ 4ohms $179

PE250 = 272w @ 4ohms $135

AMP350 = 350w @ 4ohms $224

Can someone explain the differences to me, as far as the internals go, cuz they look the same from the outside. Obviously the PE250 is the best bang for the buck thus far.

2. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Hello,

The AMP350 is different from the other 2 amplifiers. It's one step up in power from the others, and has a larger face plate and heat sink. I had a sample of the PE250 amp from the manufacturer in China also, as well as 4 other models, but Steve at Apex Jr and I decided to offer the next step up instead. The AMP350 was tested at 380W into 4ohm, but I went with the conservative 350W rating.

As far as crossover boards on the amp, the PE250 and AMP350 should have identical components. Adire has apparently done some small modifications to remove the bass boost on theirs. I do offer 2 different modifications to the amp for a small fee. The stock boost is 6dB at 30-35Hz. I can modify the boost to 2-3dB at 25Hz, or remove the boost completely.

I also have the AMP350 on special at $199.95 to match the pricing Apex Jr setup. You just have to ask for the sale price if you order on the phone, or fill in the comments section online if you want the discount.

John

3. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I'm guessing your affiliated with Stryke in some way?? In that case, how much would I be looking at to have an AMP350 and a SAE1204 or a SAL-PB12 shipped up to Kelowna, British Columbia??? I'd love to make a Sonosub using stryke, but I'm not sure of the expense to ship it up here. Can you inform me of the prices and options I have, Thanks!

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

John J *IS* Stryke Audio. [​IMG]

5. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Thanks Patrick. I havn't been on this forum for too long, so I'm just getting to know everyone.

6. Paul_C

Paul_C Stunt Coordinator

Sure is nice to see another Kelowna resident on the forum. This really is a small world.

If I had the cash right now I would get the Stryke amp. More power for a few dollars more. The only other suggestion would be to get a paremetric EQ. It will allow you to tame any room induced peaks you might have.

FYI:

I made a 160 Litre sonosub with a Shiva driver. I haven't purchased my amp yet as I moved and have yet to setup a new home theater. I used an old receiver (about 110 watss) as a temporary amp but I plan on getting one of the amps you listed sometime later this year.

If you decide to use sonotube as your construction method then I would suggest going to the concrete supply store behind Home Hardware (by Revy). They had the best price on sonotube (I think it's called handiform here). The only problem is that you have to buy a 12' section. On the other hand, if you mess up the first one you can always build a second.

Good luck.

Paul.

7. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Hey Paul, your the second person I have seen here on the forum who is from K-town. How are you liking the Sonosub with the shiva, and how much did it cost you to ship it up here, and how long did it take? I'd love to give your sub a listen once you have it completed. BTW, what else you running for speakers and whatnot??

8. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Hi Cam,
    I don't want this to turn into too much of a commercial post. You can email me at [email protected] with any questions and I'll take care of you then.
    Also, Patrick, it's getting to the point where there is more to Stryke Audio than just myself. :) I have two people helping part time now. Currently they're both just helping with construction on the new shop, but once that is all done they will be working on speaker stuff. Wow, maybe then I won't have to be up at 3:00am every night. :)
    John

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

John, congrats on the expansion and the added overhead. [​IMG]

10. Paul_C

Paul_C Stunt Coordinator

Cam;

I think the Shiva cost around $100 USD and I got a b-stock item that cost a little less but b-stock items are not always there. You can ask them. I don't recall the shipping cost but one of the people there will tell you the exact cost if you email them. I think the shiva with input cup cost around $225 CDN delivered. The sonotube cost around $40. One sheet of MDF was around $25 and paint, tube sock for another $30 or $40. Carpet tape to attach the sock was a few dollars. A few feet of good speaker cable. Some batting from Fabric land and another 6" sonotube (for the port) from Revy for about $15. Total was around $350 - $370.

I used a router to cut the holes and end caps (made my own circle jig), a skill saw to cut down the mdf into managable pieces and some clamps to glue the end caps and a drill for the mounting holes of the driver and input cup. I soldered the speaker wire just to make sure it doesn't corrode and to make sure they stayed put. It took a couple of weekends to complete. I took my time. In other words, I am a little slow. I like to measure many times before I cut.

There is another little trick to save another 5%. I don't know if this is ok or not but here goes. Go to Home Theater Talk Forum and click the adire banner (you might want to browse around the forum as well), this will allow you to take 5% off whatever you buy.

I finished my sub last year and had it working for about 2 months before we had to move. It really filled in the lower end. It is now sitting in the basement where I am living (collecting dust).

I run a Pioneer elite receiver for power and dolby pro logic decoding. I also have a Denon processor for dolby digital and Laserdisc ac-3 decoding.

I use DCM timeframe's for mains and I have Mirage center and rears. The speakers will probably change in the new house. I am building a dedicated HT in the future (1-2 years) so I will run in-walls upstairs and I have a line on some used Maggies for the dedicated HT. If I don't run Maggies in the HT I will build some 281's from Adire for front and rears and hopefully by then they will have a great center.

Thank God that the people I live with right now have an HT. It is good enough that I haven't gone through to many withdrawal pains.

Paul.

11. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Thanks for the help Paul. $40 for the sonotube and the MDF for $25, also the 6" sonotube for $15, all seem a little high. When I was in Revy the biggest sonotube they had was 12" and 8' long, and it was only 8 bucks. A 4'x4' piece of 3/4" mdf was 13 bucks, and the 6" sonotube was like 5 bucks. So your prices seem a little high, or were you just guestamating the total costs??

John J, I'll have to put together an e-mail of what I finally decide on for ya, thanks for the help.

12. Paul_C

Paul_C Stunt Coordinator

I was pretty much guesstimating. I also got 18" diameter sonotube not 12". Prices may have also come down since I purchased or I just could be off my rocker. As you get older the past just slips away. [​IMG]
    Paul.

13. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Hey Paul, what made you go with a 160L box, instead of one of the recommended Adire boxs?? Also, what did you tune it too??

14. Paul_C

Paul_C Stunt Coordinator

To get the size of my sub I basically took my wife to the cement place and asked her what was the biggest tube that she would allow in our living room. [​IMG]
    I got 18" sonotube.
    Since I had to take the whole 12' tube I cut it in half to take home.
    I then asked her how high I could make the thing.
    I got about 4'.
    I wanted to tune it to 20Hz and with a 6" port I was able to get things worked out ok.
    Paul.

15. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Hey Paul, you said the sub was collecting dust, does that mean your willing to sell it?? [​IMG]

16. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Also guys, are there ANY difference to the PE250 and the AVA250 besides price????

17. SteveF

SteveF Extra

Is it too late to look at the RCM detonator plate amps? I purchased one of those about a year ago and was very happy with its quality and performance. They were used in the early days of SV Subwoofers. As far as I can tell, they still offer this option since the picture looks pretty similar to mine at their parts page. You might at least want to have a peek and see if this item interests you.

18. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Does the Adire AVA250 have a crossover bypass? I didnt see it on the spec sheet.

19. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

can any one tell me if a 6 foot long sono tube with a tempest and the tube is 18 in diamiter i want it to hit low and hard i was thinking of tuneing it to 16 hz or below and bulding 2 of them.

20. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Steve, what are the stats on the RCM amps???