amp ???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Sheldon-m, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

I'm a newbie to HT. my question is --I'm going to purchase
    the axiom m22ti. I've heard that they sound better if they pushed with a amp. I'm in the process of buying the onkyo
    601. The amp I seen is the Antique sound wave av20 & wave av8. (I'm on a small budget)Could I use these with my HT(and music)to make speakers sing? any suggestions well be praised. thx

2. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

Sheldon-m
    ive just saw wave av amp on their site, and saw its a tube design.
    well as a newbie, id setle for a good spaekers and reciever first, and learn the material step by step.
    ive traded my too-weak-first-buy-reciever (onkyo 494) after only a month of use to a good reciever (denon 3802), and im still not needing an external amp. (but id sure like one!!)

[​IMG]

3. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

With the wave's you will need atleast 91db sensitivity speakers with an easy impedance curve. I am not familiar with Axioms but with tube amps you have to be very careful matching speakers. The wrong match and you will have a system that sounds worse than a boombox.

I suggest you visit AudioAsylum and ask for some good speakers mates for the waves.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'd go with a solid state amp for the M22s. You probably won't need a ton of power with them either, even the 601 should be able to handle them at moderate levels. Give it a listen in your room before deciding you need external amplification.