What's new

Amp Wattage Overkill? (1 Viewer)

DanielSmi

Second Unit
Hopefully soon I will be purchasing a pair of Klipsch Rf-5's. When I do that shortly after I will bi-amp them I'm considering getting the Parasound 2205 or 1205. Would I be overkill to get the 2205 because then I would have 440 watts for each speaker and I think my ears would explode and I would bleed to death before I ever used that much when running 99dB sensitive speakers. So should just save my money and get 1205A for about a grand instead? Almost all the specs are about the same, what do you think?

Daniel Smith

DanaA

Screenwriter
This is just my opinion, but I think the 1205, or even the 855 would work fine with the Klipsch reference speakers you're considering getting. I have the 1205 mated with RB-5's and I can't turn the knob up anywhere near the top, although I like my music VERY loud. The 1205A would drive the RF-5's to over 120 decibels. That's loud, very, very loud.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
If money is no object then by all means get the 2205. I say this because if you purchase another pair of speakers then you can use that amp to power them as well. With the Klipsch you still will not be able to stand it much past 70% anyway.
Just a question, one does not hear about people getting the RF-5's often as they are so close to the RF-3's in performance but priced way higher. If it were me, and its not;) , I would purchase the 1205 amp and put the rest into the RF-7's. I really do not think you will be sorry.
Phil

DanielSmi

Second Unit
Phil,

I don't have I big room and the RF-7 with dual 10's would be way too much bass for my room.

The stats on the 1205 is 5x140 and the 2205 5x220. I would bi-amp the fronts s I'd have at least 240 per channel for the fronts with the 1205 and 440x2 if I go with 2205 then I would use the extra channel for the center speaker.

Daniel Smith

Yogi

Screenwriter
Bigger more powerful amps perform better than lower powered amps even at low volumes. Better control, better transient response and greater reserves for those explosions. Speakers can take almost five times their rated power for short durations so dont worry about blowing speakers. Just get the most powerful amp you can afford. I believe there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to amps.

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I'm currently using the Parasound 1205 (140x5) to push Energy Veritas 2.4Fronts ,2.0Center and 2.0Rear surrounds. A Denon 3802 does double duty as a pre/pro and push my Energy Ecores 2 rears. I'm thinking of getting a Parasound 1500 (205x2)to push the 2.4's and then have the 1205 push the surrounds. Would that be overkill in my family room 13x16x8?
My system sounds great now but like most here I think there is always room for improvement. I can get the Parasound HCA 1500A for $400.:D

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
It's not the maximum power that matters, since you could blow yourself away with those speakers and a 10 watt amp. But there may be a difference in sound at any volume, between the different Parasound models. Don't worry about the power.

Yogi

Screenwriter
Michael, I think you'd be happy with the 1500 running your mains not somuch because of its higher power but because separate 2 channel amps are so much better for the mains compared to a multichannel amp. Usually dedicated 2 channel amps have separate power supplies and are built better (generally speaking) giving you better resolution, imaging and impact. So I'd say go for it esp. since the price is such a bargain.

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Use this to figure out how much wattage you need:
http://www.myhometheater.homestead.c...alculator.html
Keep in mind that THX reference levels (peak) is 105db at the listening position. This is very loud. Each 3db gain requires a doubling of power. Daniel, in your case, assuming 16ft listening position, the 1205 with your speakers can achieve 110db. That is way higher than you could ever stand for short amounts of time - roughly equivalent to a jet flyover at 300m according to the chart at that site. I would say the 1205 has more than sufficient headroom, wouldn't you agree?

Yogi

Screenwriter
Each 3db gain is a doubling of volume
I think 3 db means doubling of power. To double the volume I think you need 10 db gain, which would mean 8 times the power.

I do agree in this case that the 1205 is more than sufficient to make your ears bleed. But in case you ever upgrade your speakers (which you most probably will if you are anything like most of us) to lesser sensitive/lower impedance ones or if you move to a larger room then you would be looking at more powerfull amplifiers. It would therefore be better for you to get the 2205 since you will then never have to worry about speaker impedance/sensitivity issues.

Just MHO.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
I am running a 80W x 5 channel amp and am powering 90db speakers and have never seemed to run out of power. The amp just keeps on producing more and more without clipping. My ears give out every time before the amp does when I am trying to see how loud it can go. Whether you are running 90db or 99db speakers, the Parasound 1205 at it's power ratings will not even break a sweat. Save the cash and get DVDs or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks