Amp voltage problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by mubashir, Apr 8, 2002.

1. mubashir

mubashir Agent

My brother is in the states and am wondering would it be a good idea for me to ask him to get one of those parasound 2 channel amps here.The problem is the voltage difference(in Malaysia its 240 Volts compared to US's 110 Volts).Would buying a transformer solve the problem or is there any way he can get a 240V amp there.In Malaysia the prices of these amps are ridiculous.Do any of you guys know of a good quality amp that has a voltage selector?

2. Jah-Wren Ryel

Jah-Wren Ryel Stunt Coordinator

I don't know about the parasound, but a lot of amps are dual voltage, if they have any sort of online manual or specifications, you should be able to determine if they are dual voltage from that. I think I saw that the Mondial Acurus's and Aragons are dual voltage.

3. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

Mubashir,

What you can do is use a step-down transformer. Electronics shops usually sell these, and they convert 240/220V to 110/100V. According to most reports, they have no audible effect on sound reproduction. Cost is around US$50.

Cheers,

Mike

4. mubashir

mubashir Agent

I'm just worried that the parasound needs so much power that these transformer might get too hot and burn up.I used to have a step-down transformer for my playstation and even that produced a lot of heat.