Amp Upgrade

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Arron H, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

I am considering an amp upgrade but am not sure what to do. I currently have a Rotel RMB1075 (120w x 5). I have a 5.1 system with no plans to go to 7.1. All of my speakers are 2 ways with the internal crossover on each at 3Khz. Here is the question. Should I add a second 1075 and bi-amp all 5 speakers or go with a new 1095 (200w x 5) and sell the 1075? What are the advantages of bi-amping with 2 1075s verses a single 1095 to drive everything? Is the 1095 a better built unit than the 1075?

2. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Just wanted to add that my current speakers are:

B&W 805s (mains)
    B&W HTM2 (center)
    B&W 601s (surrounds)

As indicated in the first post, all are 2 way speakers. I should note that I would use 2 1075s ina passive bi-amping arrangement rather than active bi-amping arrangement. I am not brave enough to mess with the crossovers inside the speakers. [​IMG]

3. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Okay, just want to add a few more thoughts:

1. Since my speakers crossover at 3 Khz, my current 1075 splits the 120wpc in a ratio of roughly 85:15. This equates to 102w below 3Khz and 18w above 3 Khz.

2. The only thing that would change with a 200wpc Rotel 1095 would be the amounts, not the ratio and so, the amp would send 170w below 3Khz and 30w above 3Khz.

3. Here is the big difference as I see it. 2 1075s passively bi-amped would alter the ratio to roughly 50:50, ie, 120w below 3Khz and 120w above 3Khz.

Based on the current ratio of 85:15 utilizing a 3Khz crossover, does not appear that I really need 50% of the overall wattage directed above 3Khz and so, 2 1075s seems like it would be a waste of the second 1075s available wattage. It seems like the 1095 would actually be a more efficient amp. Am I completely missing it or does this seem correct?

4. John S

John S Producer

Buy the second meaner amp, run that amp to your bass drivers, run the smaller amp to you tweets amd bi-amp them all channels, crossing over electronically before the power amp.

Let me say, this would sound mind blowing to say the least. Drool, drool, drool.... I think you should do it, the most critical audio and ht guys will be scratching their head while listening.. lol

5. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

"I feel the need! I feel the need!! I FEEL THE NEED TO UPGRADE

Arron, is the above statement true? How long have you had the setup as is? Honestly it doesn't take long to feel the need to add/subtract/or change out a piece of our gear. Its called UPGRADITIS.
    We all have it. Bi-amping, Bi-wiring has always been a contentious issue. Some swear by it some don't. Personally if I was you i'd go out and by more speaker wire and just bi-wire. See if you hear a difference. Its a small price to pay and you'll need the wire anyway if you do bi-amp. Also the 1095 would give you more top end when really pushing the speakers, otherwise they'd be equal in performance at normal listening levels.

Kevin

6. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

I've had my current setup for about 6 months. My most recent addition was the 1066 prepro and the 1075 amp. Can't believe I'm already back asking questions. I am bi-wiring everything already. Not sure if I notice a really huge difference with bi-wiring. I'm not sure I'm willing to try the external crossover route as I don't want to fxxx up my speakers internal crossover by disabling it. That's why I was wondering about passive bi-amping with a second 1075.

7. John S

John S Producer

Well, real electronic bi-amp'n would yield massive benefits, it is costly though. I have never considered it for home use before, but man, would it kick. And actually I guess with a sub, we are talking tri-amping... lol

I may try to go down this path at some point in the future though, just from knowing what it does in pro sound applications.

8. MikeTz

MikeTz Stunt Coordinator

Arron:

If your system is able to play music at high volume, distortion free, then a more powerful amp may not give you much marginal improvement. Remember twice the amplifier power is a 3dB increase in sound volume.

If you can't get distortion free sound at reference volume then knock yourself out and get the monster Rotel. The only ones who will be sorry are your neighbors. [​IMG]

MT

9. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    IMO, passive bi-amping (i.e. using the passive XOs in the speaker) does not result in any significant benefit (vs. just using a larger amp). However active bi-amping (using an external active crossover before the amp stage) can result in significant improvements. There are a few speaker companies (Linn, etc.) that offer an active crossover for their speakers. With the B&Ws I'd suggest sticking with 1 amp.