amp upgrade for Tumult

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Brad Dixon, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Brad Dixon

Brad Dixon Stunt Coordinator

Tumult is sealed 110L(or as close as I could get).

I'm curious if anyone thinks going from a Keiga 1000w plate amp to something like a Behringer EP2500 or QSC RMX 1450/1850 would make any noticeable difference. The problem is it seems like when listening at loud levels and a large explosion or low bass note hits the Keiga clips. It's that or the Tumult is bottoming but I really doubt that's it.

Or to get that bottom end rumble/impact should I just move to a PR'd box? What I'm not sure of is,
    1. It appears the 18" PR's aren't available anymore/at this moment and all of the 15" PR's seem to bottom out according to unibox.
    2. The rumble filter on the Keiga is around 18hz(-3db?) if I remember correctly. I'm not to sure if that would affect much or not but I was modeling a possible box of 150L tuned ~16-17hz.

I've messed with unibox a bunch and buying a second Tumult and running 1000w to each(sealed) it seems to have more output below 13.5 hz and above 22hz(compared to a single Tumult w/ 2 18" PR's). The problem here is more money for another Tumult than just 2 PR's. Not to mention getting the OK to put a second Tumult in the room.

Thanks,
    Brad

2. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

You will probably get a noticable difference in the low end.

It's been said that the Keiga couldn't really put out 1000W for any duration (due to a poor power supply). So, it behaves more like an amp with a lower power rating. That added to the rumble filter reduces low frequency output considerably.

You can get 18" PRs from AE http://yellow.mynethost.com/~bv12636...cb6c4fcebd1581

3. Vince Bray

Vince Bray Stunt Coordinator

I finally upgraded to a K2 last year and it's a great amp. They are routinely on ebay in good condition and sell under $700.