Amp to make my AVR520 7.1??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Carson, Feb 26, 2003.

1. John Carson

John Carson Agent

Anyone have a suggestion for an amp to make my Harman Kardon 520 into a 7.1 revceiver?

Can I use ANY amp that does left right and center?

What do I need? HELP!

2. Jeramy_K

Jeramy_K Stunt Coordinator

Hi John,

You can use any 2ch amp for your extra surrounds. It's just a matter of personal preference. You just need to buy 2 RCA/RCA cables and connect the SBL/SBR Preamp Outputs to the amplifier.

3. John Carson

John Carson Agent

So then an old bookshelf system would work to power those temporarily. [​IMG]

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Does anyone know if the amps on the 520 are assignable? If so you might want to pick up a decent 2ch amp for your mains and re-assign those internal amps to drive the surround backs... if that's an option w/ the 520.

5. John Carson

John Carson Agent

I think they may be. On the back, there are sets of U-shaped RCA plugs that plug into the amp. They come pre-installed. I think you could take the U-shaped things out and re-rout (via RCA cables) any signal you want.

6. Scott Pagac

Scott Pagac Stunt Coordinator

The 520's amp are assignable just as John describes.

A nice match for the 520 is the H/K PA2000 power amp. I used it with the 520 to power the mains and re-routed the 520's main amps (FL/FR) to power the back surrounds. It sounded much better.

I am now using the PA2000 to power the back surrounds with my AVR 8000.

7. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

If you decide to use a PA2000, Scott's setup is probably the way to go (using the PA2000 to power the fronts). They provide a solid 100w per channel into both channels at 8 ohm bridged. For $217.66 shipped, it's hard to beat.