Amp to connect 3 speakers 50 watts @ 8ohms

Renaud Et Zany

Auditioning
Real Name
Ren
Hi,
I'm a real beginner to this so I need help to find an amplifier to power 3 cheap speakers I recently bought.
Here's the link:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Compact-3-5-Inch-In-Outdoor-Speakers-2-Way-Wall-Mounts-1pr-White-Affordable-/290685770020?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item43ae38d924&_uhb=1#ht_5534wt_952
I need a small amplifier that fits in a small cabinet (18wx11sx6h inches) that will be powerful enough to run my 3 speakers (50watts @ 8 ohms). Someone told me I need a 4 channel amp so the amp doesn't burn.
I don't know a thing about those ohms.
My budget is 100$ max.
Thanks for you help!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The speakers are 8 ohms, so unless you have an unusual connection strategy in mind, any recevier will work fine, you do not need a 4 ohm receiver. How do you plan on using the 3 speakers?
I'm not up on low cost receivers, but look for something from Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz, Yamaha, Harman/Kardon. Onkyo is usually the cheapest, but good deals can change than. Of course, your best bet would be to buy used. An alternative would be to buy reconditioned; accessoriesforless is the site most recommend if going reconditioned.

Renaud Et Zany

Auditioning
Real Name
Ren
Thank you very much for your answer! It's really appreciated.
So I'm planning to set 2 speakers in the kitchen and one in the bathroom. As I don't need 2 speakers in the second room, I'm planning to use only 3 speakers. I need the smallest amp to fit in the cabinet but it must be powerful enough to drive 3 [email protected] speakers.
I was looking to this amp:
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PTA2-2x40W-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B0013CDZDI
but I'm not sure if it is powerful enough. Plus, since it is a 2 channel amp, would it be a problem plugging 2 speakers in the same inputs?
So 1- Would that amp would be powerful enough? If no, what is the minimum output wattage of the amp I'm looking for to power 3 speakers.
2- Would it be ok to wire 2 speakers in the same inputs (of the amp) and the other one alone in the other input (2 channels), (Since I don't really care about the sound quality in the bathroom, even if its not balanced (Left and right).
Thank you very much!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1. Ignore the wattage rating on both the speaker and the amp. If this is background music, you aren't going to be using more than a few watts anyway.
2. What speakers are you using? Are you feeding the amp a mono signal? If you don't care about balanced, there a lot of classic rock songs with instruments in one channel and the vocals in the other. That would really sound strange.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, to do this "properly"...
You need a speaker selector. But you are only going to hook up one side of it. That way your "mono" will have to be left or right.
And you won't, EVER, be able to use the single 3rd speaker by itself*.
*Well you can, just not "cheap"...

Renaud Et Zany

Auditioning
Real Name
Ren
Hi,
thanks for your answer!
I'm using those speakers:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Compact-3-5-Inch-In-Outdoor-Speakers-2-Way-Wall-Mounts-1pr-White-Affordable-/290685770020?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item43ae38d924&_uhb=1#ht_5534wt_952
I'm feeding the amp with normal RCA to 3.5mm (so stereo signal)
I do care about balanced in the kitchen, but in the bathroom, I don't. That's why I'm using only 1 speakers. The 2 speakers in the kitchen will be balanced.
In fact, as you're saying, my setup is only for background music, but I still wanna have a decent lound sound from the speakers when I'm throwing a party. So would this amp be powerful enough? : http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PTA2-2x40W-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B0013CDZDI

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
l3randon39