What's new

Amp that will drive 2ohm speakers? (1 Viewer)

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Pioneer 49TX and I am running M&K 150THX speaker system including 4 SS150 tripole surrounds. These speakers are rated 4ohm, however the manual says that to use these speakers in full mode will drop them to 2ohm and would require an amp that could drive 2ohm speakers. I would not even try to run them that way with my 49TX.

I have never heard of an amp that could drive 2ohm speakers in fact I have never heard of 2ohm speakers. Does anyone know if there is a 2 ohm capable 4 channel amp to drive these four surrounds that I could incorporate in to my system? I don’t want a new receiver I am very happy with my 49TX that’s why I am thinking separate amp.

Thanks

John Royster

Screenwriter
Most decent amps won't have too much of a problem with your speakers. Any class A amp could breeze though em.

Don't worry about it too much. my speakers drop to 1.2 ohms and every amp and integrated I throw at them don't have too much trouble. they strain a little bit, but don't konk out unless I push them.

Otherwise an amp that has verified 4 ohm ratings should be pretty good.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
As far as I know, both Aragon and Acurus amps will drive a 2 ohm load. That is, maybe not a nominal 2 ohm load, but a higher rated load that drops down to 2 ohms across the freq spectrum. I agree, most "decent" amps would too. B&K, ATI, Rotel, Sherbourn, Krell, Mark Levinson, etc.

Chip E

Screenwriter
It's funny... i was just thinking how i didn't realize that my PSB Stratus Silveri 's are 4 ohm speakers. I've never had a problem driving them with my current receiver, a Denon 5803 and the receiver i had before that, a B&K 307. In moving to seperates next week with a Ref50-Ref200.5 combo, i checked and sure enough, B&K amps are 4 ohm rated. Effectivily 375 WPC for my main's. I don't think there's any "switch" or anything to take advantage of the 4 ohm capabilities of the new amps. It just draws what it needs ??? I think this is how it works.

Ted Ross

Second Unit
I've never had a problem driving them with my current receiver, a Denon 5803

I know the 5803 & the Yamaha RX-Z1 are rated down to 2 ohms

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
The Sunfire amps will easily handle 2 ohms. In fact, they will have double their 4 ohm rating into 2 ohms, and the 4 ohm rating is double the 8 ohm rating.
This is a quote from Sunfire's page for the Cinema Grand Signature amp, which is a five channel amp:
- 850 watts rms continuous per channel, all channels driven into four ohms.
- 1700 watts rms continuous per channel, all channels driven into two ohms – time limited basis.
One thousand seven hundred freaking watts per channel into five channels!

Yogi

Screenwriter
- 1700 watts rms continuous ....
– time limited basis.
Sounds like an oxymoron:) What kind of time scales are they talking about when they say "time limited basis."
1700W x 5 = 8500W!!!
What kind of wiring and circuits would take that kind of load without burning down the house.:)
That aside, most decent separate amps would be stable into 2 ohms for a short period of time. Several mags have tested amps like ATI, Rotel, B&K and Parasound and found them to be stable into 2 ohms for short durations of time, which is how long a transient (that takes a dip down to 2 ohms) would last. So dont worry about your amps 2 ohm rating and enjoy the sound.

Lando P

Agent
AMC claim that their amps are 2-ohm stable. You can check them at their website - amchome.com. You can also do a search for AMC amps in this forum. There are owners of these amps that can only say good things about them.

Regards,

mark rush

Stunt Coordinator
check out Cinepro they make some very fine amps that will play multiple speakers very easy, and they are rated to play 2 ohm speakers at full load for long periods of time,
Link Removed for the money you can not beat them

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks